All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: MIA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:59 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Is it me or are there a lot of people on this BB missing?

This BB used to hum everyday with post, questions, answers, opinions, advice, trip reports, restaurant reviews. Now it's like pulling teeth to get people involved.

I also went on other well known sites and same thing. Some haven't had posts in months.

One thought I came up with is Facebook, Instagram and the many immediate "feel good" sites.

What do you non-MIA people say?

Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:07 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Social media is killing off sites like this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:25 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I agree that participation in here has waned a bit. And I agree that it is due in a large part to the social sites. But that said, if you read some of the stuff in those sites I think you'll realize that it is extremely repetitive with the favorite this and favorite that and flight costs, and when I'm going and when you're going, etc., etc. How much of that can you re-read again and again. I've lost interest in the Facebook Aruba sections and have given up my membership.
But I think we all have to concede that we're slowly running out of stuff to talk about on Aruba. An occasional new restaurant, A discount airfare here and there, some newsworthy crime, or..... kind of the same stuff being chewed and re-chewed on Facebook.
It's a small island. Most of us in here have seen or done it all on Aruba and know our likes and dislikes down there.
I'll stick with this BB simply because if it's posted in here by one of the many Arubaholic members then it's most likely worth reading and even commenting on.
So, what Aruba stuff do we talk about now?
Thank you, Richard.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:46 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

It is the quality, not the quantity that counts. That being said, I agree with lefty that it is not only the FB Aruba groups, but also that we did discuss almost all there is to discuss. I guess we are all waiting for something new to come up. I personally don’t miss all those posts about cheap airfares or when Jet Blue open up its scedule for the next 9 months.

I don’t post a tripreport any more, as it is getting very repetitive. Same with restaurants: we don’t eat out much and if it is in a restaurant that already has many reviews (think Wacky Wahoo or Zeerovers), I have nothing new to add. The swamp is very active, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:19 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I am very sad that no one writes trip reports any more. You can no longer read even the old trip reports. Very few restaurant reviews.

p://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;1 ... /event.png[/img][/url]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:27 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I agree with the all of the posts above. The Facebook groups are killing the sites like this one.

I started my last trip report from January and never finished it - life just got busy (work, travel, etc.) There were a few new places that we went to that I wanted to add in my trip report that would be helpful but I just never finished. Maybe I will just spend 30 minutes on it tonight and do an abbreviated version with the highlights and photos while I am packing for our trip to Ireland. Hate to see it go unfinished. I would like to be able to just post photos though with captions - wish that was easier to do.

The Facebook groups are good for photos but I'm losing interest - a million incorrect answers (or non-answers since they didn't even read the question correctly) to the same posts/questions over and over again :lol: so I'm looking at new/different platforms now.

I definitely prefer quality over quantity, too.

Mexico: March 2018
Sedona, AZ: April/May 2018
Ireland: June/July 2018
36th trip to Aruba: Sept./Oct. 2018
Rome: Nov/Dec. 2018
37th trip to Aruba: Dec. 2018/Jan. 2019

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:28 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I can say I have never been on or will be on the Facebook Aruba sites of which I am sure are several. I am not a Facebook person anyway in general.

It's like cruise ship people. they are there for a day, really don't know about the island nor particularly care but they come home Aruba experts.

I also see that the "SWAMP" has many of the "old timers" posting only there. I wonder if any of them still go to Aruba anymore.

Look on the bright side. You will always have ME on this site.

OOPS, Richard you have lost a few more.

PS Richard how about dropping a thread that hasn't had any posts in years and staring a new one like "I'll be in Aruba". An example is a few years ago I posted when I was going to Aruba and the lovely dutchdushi PM'd me back and her handsome husband and the vivacious Mrs AJ met for drinks and conversation. Just the four of us and we had a great time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:43 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
It's like cruise ship people. they are there for a day, really don't know about the island nor particularly care but they come home Aruba experts.

That's exactly it.

Mexico: March 2018
Sedona, AZ: April/May 2018
Ireland: June/July 2018
36th trip to Aruba: Sept./Oct. 2018
Rome: Nov/Dec. 2018
37th trip to Aruba: Dec. 2018/Jan. 2019

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:12 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

A forum is only as good as the people contributing to it. If people stop posting trip reports, restaurant reviews, news or other items of interest, it will die off.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:53 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubamikey wrote:
A forum is only as good as the people contributing to it. If people stop posting trip reports, restaurant reviews, news or other items of interest, it will die off.

You are such an optimist mikey.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:27 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I agree I spend most of my time over in the swamp, I do check in here occasionally but don't post as most things have been said.
I am lax on doing a trip report but we don't do a great deal so don't want to bore anyone :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:26 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
An example is a few years ago I posted when I was going to Aruba and the lovely dutchdushi PM'd me back and her handsome husband and the vivacious Mrs AJ met for drinks and conversation. Just the four of us and we had a great time.

Joey, this is still one of my most treasured memories. In real life you are less scaring than in writing :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:27 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Oh, and tonight we will dine at Fermin’s BBQ. I will post a review in the restaurant section.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:04 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

like the others i spend most of the time in the swamp as well. i do check this section pretty often but by the time i see a thread its been answered to death.
I usually post trip reports and restaurant reviews but like amy said sometimes real life gets in the way. the aruba sites on FB are so repetitive i find myself skipping over them most of the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:29 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubamikey wrote:

I still make an effort to post restaurant reviews after we return from our September trip. But the trip report does wind up being repetitive, so I only try to write about something new or unusual. Like AJ, I'm not a Facebook person - had joined, some people asked me to be "friends" & then I started getting a barrage of email notifications daily, with some "friends" posting something 10 times a day - so, I turned off the notifications.