All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Copa Airlines
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:33 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Hi - has anyone flown Copa Airlines from New York through Panama? Looking to book flights for October. Also, is it true no baggage fees for carryon and first checked luggage on Copa? Thanks ...

Post subject: Re: Copa Airlines
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:03 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

True... :D

https://www.copaair.com/en/web/us/baggage-policy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:53 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Did you really look at the total times and prices. I was curious and did a random check. Minimum 11+ to 27 hours one way and the fares are over $500. to $1,200.

Jetblue, United and Delta have direct flights out of JFK and/or Newark. Usually under $500. and you will be there in under 5 hours. On a vacation its all about the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:49 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Yes, I checked that out - if you scroll down there is a Copa red-eye flight. I've always flown from NY but non-stop fares are currently over $1,400 for two (yikes!).

Well, I ended up booking Copa today for $983 for two with travel insurance total came to $1,045 for two tickets. Flight leave JFK @ 2AM. I can never fall sleep the night before leaving anyways; afraid I will over-sleep. We can nap on the plane 'til we reach Panama. Plan on having breakfast somewhere in the terminal during 3 hour layover and go shopping for a Panama shot glass (husband collects them).

Flight arrives in Aruba @ 12:30PM (good time of day to get my welcome rum punch drink). Flight back is not bad at all-leaves Aruba @1:20PM with 1 hour layover; arriving JFK @ 10PM. With the additional $100 savings for checked luggage we decided to give it a try. We are spending 2 weeks in Aruba so there is a little leeway if something goes wrong.

We are ready to roll with any punches that Copa may dish out; as long as we get to Aruba! Fingers and toes are crossed for event-free flights. It's an adventure and remember it's not about the destination (well with Aruba it IS all about the destination), but it's the journey! I will report on our experience with flying Copa from New York -- Thanks for your replies.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:14 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Copa is actually a great airline. It used to be the South American affiliate of Continental (before the United/Continental merge) - COntinental PAnama. I have flown them a number of times from Aruba to South America destinations, and I think you will have a fine flight.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:57 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Thanks bryanzs for telling me about your experiences with Copa. You have put my mind at ease with my choice - no worries now :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:54 pm 
Freshman

Never flown COPA airlines but flew TACA airlines it was like flying was in the seventies spacious seating free drink peanuts stewardess dressed to the hilt in airline uniform. Flew from Houston to Roatan