All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Help appreciated
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:15 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

It's been a couple years and we normally stick to restaurants we know but read reviews of some good ones. Where can I find a map listing where all these places are?

Also, if I don't want to make any calls, can I just put my US phone on airplane mode just to take pictures? Or is getting a sim card at the airport easier. Come to think of it, I may want to call home a few times to check up on things as were going for just shy of 3 weeks.

TIA

Post subject: Re: Help appreciated
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:36 pm 
Senior

Yes putting your phone on airplane mode will allow you to take pictures. It will block all data and calls. My provider, Verizon, has international plan of $10 per day. You use your plan as if at home for a flat $10 fee. Once you use the phone for data, text or calling the fee kicks in, a text is sent letting you know when the 24 hour cycle has started. If you keep it in airplane mode, no charge. If you only need to make a few calls, you can use the wifi calling feature on your phone which is completely free. As far as a map of the restaurants, I picked up a nice (free) book at Superfoods checkout that has most of the restaurants in it with a description, phone and location.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:50 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Mellie, if you want onlines maps, you can find it on http://www.restaurantsaruba.com. It even gives you driving directions.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:19 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Arubadan wrote:
Yes putting your phone on airplane mode will allow you to take pictures. It will block all data and calls. My provider, Verizon, has international plan of $10 per day. You use your plan as if at home for a flat $10 fee. Once you use the phone for data, text or calling the fee kicks in, a text is sent letting you know when the 24 hour cycle has started. If you keep it in airplane mode, no charge. If you only need to make a few calls, you can use the wifi calling feature on your phone which is completely free. As far as a map of the restaurants, I picked up a nice (free) book at Superfoods checkout that has most of the restaurants in it with a description, phone and location.

We use the Verizon international plan too, you do have to register for it before you go but you do it online & there is on charge to sign up. As Dan said it is for a 24hr period so what we usually do is take the phone out of airplane mode at about noon/1pm that way our 24hr period straddles 2 days. Be sure to put back into airplane mode to disconnect the cell service otherwise you will be charged $10 for each 24hr period.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:10 am 
Senior

Als0 if you use the Verizon Plan you can use Waze to direct you to any restaurant.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:49 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

We use consumer cellular (love the AARP discount). Thanks for the website. Will definitely get on it and look around. I'll write a reminder note for the booklet at Superfoods too. Thanks. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:52 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Make sure you also turn off your data. Airplane mode stops calls & texts. It does not stop the data on all phones. Go to Settings & find Mobile Networks. Turn off data roaming.

Or better yet, call me when you get there & I'll come play with your phones.