All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Sim Card
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:00 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Can you still purchase a sim card for a cell phone at the airport? What is the cost?

Post subject: Re: Sim Card
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:18 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Yes.
I bought my SETAR at the airport kiosk.
I think that I paid almost $80 for the SIM and 5 or 6 gb of Data.

check out the Setar link https://www.setar.aw/visitors/prepaid-data-plans/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:41 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

If you don't need data, I purchased a sim card from digicel for $20 at the airport.

Carol 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:42 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

I tried wifi calling last year and it cost me nothing. As long as you have wifi where you are the calls are free. You will need to turn the mobile data off but with wifi you do not need data. It even worked with Skype. After talking to my carrier I was still skeptical but it works. Three weeks in Aruba and zero roaming or call charges.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:47 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

froggy wrote:
I tried wifi calling last year and it cost me nothing. As long as you have wifi where you are the calls are free. You will need to turn the mobile data off but with wifi you do not need data. It even worked with Skype. After talking to my carrier I was still skeptical but it works. Three weeks in Aruba and zero roaming or call charges.

That is exactly what I have been doing for years. I call my mother with Skype through wifi. No cost at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:48 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

dutchdushi wrote:
froggy wrote:

That is exactly what I have been doing for years. I call my mother with Skype through wifi. No cost at all.

WELL! Your mother is Skype worthy and I am not?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:33 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

dutchdushi wrote:
froggy wrote:

I probably should not have mentioned Skype cuz most people know that. I was responding about buying a sim card for a phone when you can just use wifi calling on the mobile phone.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:10 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
dutchdushi wrote:
froggy wrote:

WELL! Your mother is Skype worthy and I am not?

Joey, you know you can Skype me anytime!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:14 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Thank you for all the info.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:56 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

https://www.setar.aw/residential/mobile/prepaid/

I have a Setar sim card. Depending on the type of card, cost is anywhere from $23-27, or it was in March.
You can add voice/text to the card by prepaying for "minutes". It's really just putting money in AFL onto the phone & as you use it, the remaining value decreases.

You can add a data plan for as little as 5AFL. I would buy the 19AFL plan if you are staying for 1 week.
https://www.setar.aw/residential/mobile ... d/add-ons/

You can do all this at the kiosk at the airport, after you get your bags & before you go outside to your taxi or rental car. The person at the kiosk will install it all for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:30 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

artdorko wrote:

I have a Setar sim card. Depending on the type of card, cost is anywhere from $23-27, or it was in March.
You can add voice/text to the card by prepaying for "minutes". It's really just putting money in AFL onto the phone & as you use it, the remaining value decreases.

You can add a data plan for as little as 5AFL. I would buy the 19AFL plan if you are staying for 1 week.

You can do all this at the kiosk at the airport, after you get your bags & before you go outside to your taxi or rental car. The person at the kiosk will install it all for you.

Since many of us are from the States and therefore the calls, texts, data will revolve around back and forth to the US my question(s) revolve around what it really costs to use a Setar sim card. I know that as a Verizon user when I get to Aruba and I have one of their international plans Setar is the local carrier but when it's a Setar sim card sure it is different.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:56 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
artdorko wrote:

Since many of us are from the States and therefore the calls, texts, data will revolve around back and forth to the US my question(s) revolve around what it really costs to use a Setar sim card. I know that as a Verizon user when I get to Aruba and I have one of their international plans Setar is the local carrier but when it's a Setar sim card sure it is different.

There is a combo plan offering 2Gb of data, 3000 minutes & 200 texts for 75AFL. Add on the cost of the card, let's call it 25AFL. That's $60US & is good for up to 30 days of use. If you run out of something, you can add more data or minutes. It all depends on how much you use the phone. "Minutes" is not a very accurate way to describe the usage. Minutes deplete the prepaid balance at different rates depending on time of day. It also costs more to call a cell phone than a home phone. Supposedly it does not cost more to call to the US, but I don't know how I can find the cost of each call. There is no itemized list provided for the prepaid card.

Verizon plan is $10/day, but only for the days you use it. For 1 week, the Verizon might be cheaper. For a longer stay, I'd go with the sim card.

I recently switched to T-mobile. Data & texts are free. Calls are 20 cents/minute. That's a better deal than either of the above.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:19 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Mindy thats a great deal from Setar. Im guessing it works like the digicel card and you get an aruba phone number? I found this page that lists some rates. https://www.setar.aw/residential/servic ... paid-rates

Unfortunately I need to work while Im there so i need to keep my US cell active.

I have an old flip phone that i have a digicel sim in. I think their rate is 80fl/.45 a minute. I just keep a small amount of time on that for local calls and i have friends with aruba cells that call me on that number.

Last year i got verizons international plan for my iphone. $40 for the month (im there just under 3 weeks) 100 minutes, 100 texts and 100 mb of data. I mostly use wifi calling but since im working i just can't rely on that. It was more than enough minutes.
im not sure what the cost of incoming calls are. I just tell everyone to call and hang up and i'll call back.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:57 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Yes, the Setar sim card works like the Digicel sim card.
I do not know if the old phone you have will work with data. It should be at least 3G to work decently. They can cut your old sim card down to work in a new phone. You can usually buy an older iPhone or android phone on eBay that will work. iPhone5s or higher are 4G. Make sure it is unlocked. If you get an android & it's locked, I can help you unlock it. I don't know how to unlock Iphones.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:58 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

lindaspooky wrote:
I have an old flip phone that i have a digicel sim in. I think their rate is 80fl/.45 a minute. I just keep a small amount of time on that for local calls and i have friends with aruba cells that call me on that number.

Keep an eye on the texts you get from digicel, sometimes the minutes are at a reduced rate. When I was there last Oct, I was able to catch a 50% discount. This was great, as I need to keep in touch with my 88 year old Mom.