All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: BWI to AUA on SW Air
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:52 am 
Prolific

Going week 27 and I have never seen prices this high in previous 13 trips. I usually buy in March at the latest but Im hoping they come down soon. Anyone with some insight or advice?

Post subject: Re: BWI to AUA on SW Air
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:27 am 
Senior

We are still looking for week 26 out of Pittsburgh, much higher than normal. We will have to book very soon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:13 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Definitely not happy with the changes SW put in effect early March.

We can get flights out of Orlando to FLL to AUA on a Friday but cannot get the same return flights back on Fridays any longer. Need to go to BWI from AUA to get to Orlando and pay a lot more! Plus the outbound flight leaves super early and has us leaving the house at 3 am.

March was our last flight with SW ... we had to stay an extra night to get the AUA/FLL/MCO flight. That was basically a wasted day with checking out and checking in to a new room, packing unpacking etc.

Bad enough the non stop flights stopped from Orlando but this new set up is not good for Fri/Fri timeshare people commuting from Orlando.

Reluctantly it is back with AA and connecting through Miami with flight times that are far more reasonable time wise. In the olden days...lol....getting up and out of the house at 3 am was much easier when we were younger.

Aruba is so popular so the airlines have us right where they want us it seems price wise.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:10 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Very much dislike new SW schedule...some prices out of MHT are not bad going down and while it is a very early flight it is doable (though I 'hear' you patsfan). Return makes for a very long day....not getting back to MHT until after midnight (with a 4 hours laover in BWI) . For me it is worth the extra cost to get to Boston and fly nonstop. As to prices for summer...if you need to use SW book now and remember if the price drops you can rebook on SW with no added penalty. :wink:

Coach Brian Stone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:33 pm 
Junior

Paid $303 for BWI-AUA direct in 2016 for 10 days over the last week of June into July. This year we are leaving on 6-27 and coming back on the 7th and paid $653. Looking over the calendar, it doesn't look like the flights will drop as Saturday and Sunday return days in May, June and July are steep.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:46 pm 
Junior

I got mine for September out of DTW the day they went on sale. :D Paid $550 with the early boarding thing. Love the schedule leave Dtw at 6 in Aruba at 1:45. Home leave Aruba at 4:05 home at 11:05. Just looked at price now over $800 ouch :shock:. Lucky me come on September. Fyi staying 3 weeks at Dutch Village 8) 8) 8)

Don

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:06 pm 
Prolific

Just purchased reluctantly for 700 pp for week 27. The return trip is a connector too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:29 am 
Junior

We stopped using SW last year as the prices were way too high, typically we can use points for our tickets, but they raised it so high we couldn't do it. We always get our tickets as soon as they open up in December for June. We are going with JetBlue out of PIT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:05 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Unless they make a return flight on Friday to allow to connect in Ft Lauderdale to Orlando we are done. Bad enough it is a super early flight to leave the house for outbound, but being unable to duplicate the same return flight on a Friday as well is just not acceptable. We have a lot of miles to hopefully use for something else someday. Bad enough losing the non stop flight but this is crazy when AA has better flight times and Fri/Fri through Miami.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:40 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

We paid a lot more for our tickets via points through SW this year too. We prefer going through MCO but it was not an option this year. We did purchase tickets for our son departing Cleveland which was more reasonable. We will be looking at new options next year. It was bad enough that SW pulled out of our home airport which has resulted in us driving further but to pay more for it, no way.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:05 pm 
Senior

We finally booked with Jet Blue last night for our trip out of Pittsburgh on June 27th. It was $613 without luggage so no real deal but Southwest return trip had nearly a 4 hour layover so we went this way.
Never flew Jet Blue before and heard some good things. Guess we will see but the next 7 weeks can't go fast enough.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:26 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

TBISHOP wrote:
We finally booked with Jet Blue last night for our trip out of Pittsburgh on June 27th. It was $613 without luggage so no real deal but Southwest return trip had nearly a 4 hour layover so we went this way.
Never flew Jet Blue before and heard some good things. Guess we will see but the next 7 weeks can't go fast enough.

If its any consolation, I have flown with JB a lot to Aruba, including last week (I am in Aruba right now), and I have never had a bad flight, nor had delayed or lost luggage. And we fly out of Buffalo, with a connecting flight out of a major hub (JFK, Boston, FLL), and all flights have gone smoothly, with super nice personnel. I hope you find JB equally enjoyable. Happy travels!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:37 am 
Prolific

Well it happened. Fares dropped drastically. Got $120 credit per person on return flight.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:15 pm 
Prolific

And........it dropped again. The outbound leg dropped. My original total was 700pp roundtrip, now it's $459.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:39 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

xobxdoc wrote:
And........it dropped again. The outbound leg dropped. My original total was 700pp roundtrip, now it's $459.

:D :D :D

Coach Brian Stone