Post subject: Re: BWI to AUA on SW Air
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:34 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

nice when that happens

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:54 pm 
Junior

xobxdoc wrote:
And........it dropped again. The outbound leg dropped. My original total was 700pp roundtrip, now it's $459.

Nice.

We leave June 27th and come back on July 7th and the fare has stayed the same.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:10 am 
Prolific

I have been checking 3 to 4 times a day every day since original purchase. Same thing happened last year.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:57 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Not happy that we can't go nonstop from Orlando on SW.
Down now through Fort Lauderdale is over 7.5 hours. Coming back is about 5 hours, but the 1-hour changeover in FLL is worrisome.
$397 each for 2 serniors...plus getting to and from Orlando (75 miles away).
Booked in March for September.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:32 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

The SW terminal in FLL is quite nice. Our layover was longer than yours. Getting to the gate was not too far apart from where we landed.

We find it necessary to switch to AA since we lost the non stop from MCO. For us AA has better flight times even though I am not crazy about Miami. Fri/Fri flights are not a problem with AA.

Love SW and very unhappy about the change. Bad enough the super early time to leave the house for MCO-FLL-AUA getting to Aruba. But not being able to reverse that flight plan on a Friday is just not acceptable. (Going to BWI then to MCO and have a travel day from h$ll is not the way we want to end our vacation to get a Friday flight) We stayed an extra day and it was nothing but another inconvenience packing/unpacking checking in and out and ultimately our luggage did not arrive in Orlando. That was another nightmare - by the time we got out of the airport, it was over an hour 1/2 additional time spent waiting, looking all over for the luggage and filling out paperwork. Our hired driver was waiting an extra 90 minutes which we compensated him for. We were polite and waited our turn as that area was jammed with other people. Would not want that job. They were very professional and showed compassion. HINT: take a photo of your suitcases you check and note the dimensions and put with your passport to help if this happens to you to facilitate the process.

Our luggage did get delivered the next day. It was really dirty but damaged as well. After contacting customer support, filling out forms etc. we did get $150 in SW vouchers (not sure what to do with them since I wrote SW off) and a new suitcase from their online provider. Plus we have a bazillion miles...not using that credit card much any more....may need to get gift cards.

I will keep checking SW to see if they make improvements to AUA flights but for now we are back to AA. We are seniors too and travel is becoming more and more of a hassle. I refuse to leave the day before, stay at a nearby airport hotel and incur more expense and inconvenience to try to eliminate getting up at 2am which is the reverse of staying an extra day in AUA.

Good luck John.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:13 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

We may be writing SW off too. We now have to drive to Columbus since they closed the terminal at Dayton. Flights were very high this year and the connection through BWI was the only choice. We prefer connecting through MCO. I am seriously considering renting timeshare storage since most likely we will be flying another airline next year and the luggage allowances are not the same.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:41 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

patsfan wrote:
I will keep checking SW to see if they make improvements to AUA flights but for now we are back to AA. We are seniors too and travel is becoming more and more of a hassle. I refuse to leave the day before, stay at a nearby airport hotel and incur more expense and inconvenience to try to eliminate getting up at 2am which is the reverse of staying an extra day in AUA.

Good luck John.

Appreciate your comments, Jo-Ann. I understand the problems with Friday to Friday transit, although we have been Saturday to Saturday travelers. Tried every variation we can think...using AA, Air Aruba and USAir from New York, USAir, Delta, AirTran and SW from Florida. Put up with a lot of airline horse manure in many years...drove to distant airports, stayed overnight in the US, stayed longer in AUA, used limos and shuttles to get to the various airports...pre-flight and after flight in 30 years.

Just growing weary. This year, my brother and SIL are joining us from The Villages (your neck of the woods, I think). So we all have to face the joy of getting to MCO before a 7:35 AM flight. Wish us luck and perseverance.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:19 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Yes, John, we are in the Villages. Hope you all get to make arrangements that are satisfactory.

We have a driver we have used for years now and I was not happy asking him to get us so early the last time we went. It is door to door and very convenient but I know he doesn't really want to have super early pickups either.

In the olden days when there were no non stops and super early flights, we would stay overnight at a hotel near the airport and leave the car there and sometimes get free parking or pay a nominal amount per day. (Didn't really like leaving our car there for 2 weeks and prayed it was there when we got back...lol) Still, an inconvenience and a pain when we came home and then go get the car and drive home. Too used to the door to door service now. It all averages out comparing hotel, parking fees etc. to have transportation instead.

The nonstop flights with Air Tran and then SW out of Orlando were certainly convenient and sorely missed. We got spoiled.

Getting to and from Aruba for many of us is the only negative because once we get there "we are home".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:23 pm 
Junior

So far we have been able to get $45 per ticket as a credit. There are at least eight seats still available on both of our flights so I was hoping it could go lower but the price one way from BWI to Aruba on our dates, jumped up to $456. Round trip our ticket would cost almost $1,000.

Oh well, in two weeks, we will be on the private island so all is good.