It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:45 pm 
Junior

It is my understanding trip insurance will not cover your fees if you cannot use our owned week. My question is, "if I rent a timeshare unit from another owner and must cancel, can I claim that rent and get it or at least a portion of it back from the insurance company?" I tried calling Allianz to ask and they kept repeating that "for timeshares, any additional expenses, not maintenance fees, can be claimed". I tried asking three times even saying suppose I rent directly from the resort with them acting as a hotel.....
I kept getting the same non-answer. Any experiences? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:27 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

It is my understanding that if you rent someone else's timeshare it will be covered. You're not paying a maintenance fee but rather you are paying a rental expense. However, why don't you call another insurance company and ask the same question. Also, when you buy the insurance don't forget to include that rental expense in the cost of the vacation which your insurance premium will be based on and make sure you have proper paperwork (lease) available as proof in the event of a claim.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:01 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I use allianz and I include my maintiance fee as part of the cost. I've never had to make a claim so i don't know if it would be covered. Chase told me it would be covered under their travel protection as long as it is paid with your credit card. Since i use my card for everything i pretty much have double coverage. I like Allianz for the medical and evac.

I believe if you rent a ts that would be covered as it's not really a maintenance fee.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:32 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

A person buys insurance in case something happens prior to or while on the trip. Why should it matter if one is covering a timeshare maintenance or a hotel room.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:00 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

If you rent someone else's timeshare then trip insurance should cover any losses. Trip insurance will not cover the maint fees on a timeshare you own. You are on the hook for those vacation or not.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:53 am 
Senior

arubajoey wrote:
A person buys insurance in case something happens prior to or while on the trip. Why should it matter if one is covering a timeshare maintenance or a hotel room.

Yea, that is the way it should be but ALL of the insurance companies say otherwise.