All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Bringing alcohol back
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:21 pm 
Freshman

What is the procedure for taking alcohol home when you have a layover in the US.
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:33 am 
Prolific

Not sure of a good answer but once you go through customs in Aruba I would think any layover would not matter. Holding on to the receipts should do the trick.
When we leave Aruba we bring home 5 bottles of the Dutch Liquor Schrobbeller without any problems but do not have a layover.
Maybe if you call or email the airline they could help

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:20 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

If you are buying it ahead of time and putting it in your checked baggage there will be no issue at all (unless it breaks). If you are buying at the airport before customs it is waiting for you after you clear ALL security at the top of the steps. It will only be a problem if you carry it onto the plane if you leave the airport where your layover is. You would not be able to get back through security with it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:51 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

This is a new one....usually the question here is how to take gallons of cheaper booze INTO Aruba.
Seriously, if you have to go through any security check at all in the US the alcohol will be considered a liquid-not allowed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:40 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

I always buy a liter of scotch in the waiting area and put it in my carry on. Never had a problem. It is about $12 cheaper than in conn before the famous ct tax and if I can screw the state out of any tax it is fine with me. In the waiting area a lot of liquors are sold as buy 2 for a certain amount but one cost more than half so they want to sell you 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:16 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Coming back to Canada from Vegas and Aruba with layovers in Toronto travelling with carryon only, I've gotten these at Duty Free, you must have the receipt to go with. I think it says layover cannot be longer than 48 hours. Yes this is coming back to Canada but maybe they have these bags for US destinations too, worth checking into.

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/duty-free-purchases

"Official Security Bag

Official security bags are used in several—but not all—countries around the world. Wherever you travel, check first to make sure your bag has the security features shown in the image here – typically a checkmark and arrow in a circle as well as a red border - when you make your purchase. If it doesn’t, it will be rejected."

Picture of bag is in the link

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:43 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

We usually buy 2 bottles in the large duty free shop on the lower level. After we pick up the 2 bottles in the gate area on the upper level, I'll buy 2 more bottles in one of the small duty free shops. They charge a small duty tax for those additional bottles, but the tax is still less than NY state tax. I can fit 2 bottles in my backpack and 2 in a carry-on suitcase. I buy the more expensive bottles (like single malt scotch / cognac) at the lower level shop - since there's no duty charged.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:03 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Has to be maybe 5 years since I bought back booze from the Duty Free in Aruba. I just don't find their prices much if at all different then I can get back here in New York at some of the discount liquor stores.