Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:51 pm 
Junior

http://www.vacationsbyaruba.com/aruba-w ... per-recap/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:01 am 
Prolific

Fast ferry service sounds interesting for a day trip.

Not to hijack the thread, but, What is meant by the total block between Venezuela and the ABC islands? That is mentioned in a lower article.

Total Block Between Venezuela and ABC Islands

The National Institution of Aeronautical Civil Venezuela implemented a total ban between the ABC islands and Venezuela again this week.

The president of Venezuela already banned the commercial communication between the ABC islands in January. However the initial ban had exceptions for travelers who were in transit between the islands, and those traveling with a Dutch Nationality.

Now the exceptions are also outlawed with the recent ban. Making a total block between the ABC islands and Venezuela.

Local authorities in Venezuela and news sources have confirmed the ban until further notice by the President.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:35 pm 
Senior

“There are close economic, cultural and family ties between the Caribbean islands and Venezuela. The one-sided closing of the border has a very negative impact,” the Curaçao Chronicles quoted Wever-Croes as saying.

The ABC islands, as the trio is known, are supplied with fresh fruit and vegetables by Venezuela. The goods are usually transported by small boats from the Venezuelan coast.

Maduro earlier stated that Venezuelan gold, silver and copper are being smuggled out of the country via the islands. The Curaçao Prime Minister Eugene Rhuggenaat said the statement was "incomprehensible."

IMO, the tension between Venezuela and really the rest of the world, is getting worse and worse. Very poor leadership without any concern for the people living there . Really terrible. Some say this is retaliation for the European Union slapping sanctions on Venezuela. I suspect things are going to get much worse before they get better. I hope Aruba has a plan to deal with the problem headed their way.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:46 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

The total block means that all traffic between Venezuela and the ABC islands stopped. I have several friends from Venezuela that live on Aruba. Now for them it is impossible to visit aging and ill parents, brother, sisters and other familymembers. There is a lot of suffering in families about this. Also because some of them support their family in Venezuela. This is no longer possible.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:51 pm 
Prolific

Don't know how long this will last or play out, but, it sounds like a lot of Venezuelan owned properties on Aruba may shortly be sold at fire sale prices.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:25 am 
Senior

It really is a mess! I feel for all the innocent people being caught up in the political BS.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:46 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

dutchdushi wrote:
The total block means that all traffic between Venezuela and the ABC islands stopped. I have several friends from Venezuela that live on Aruba. Now for them it is impossible to visit aging and ill parents, brother, sisters and other familymembers. There is a lot of suffering in families about this. Also because some of them support their family in Venezuela. This is no longer possible.

Does this also mean that people from Venezuela cannot visit Aruba as tourists? I think I recall reading that the largest number of tourists from South America were from Venezuela. If the number of visitors from VZ is significant, this could hurt Aruba tourism.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:39 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

comet07 wrote:
dutchdushi wrote:

Does this also mean that people from Venezuela cannot visit Aruba as tourists? I think I recall reading that the largest number of tourists from South America were from Venezuela. If the number of visitors from VZ is significant, this could hurt Aruba tourism.

They can not visit Aruba on a direct flight. Ofcourse they can fly through a third country, for instance Colombia.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:25 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

This makes no sense to me.....I can see the Aruban Govt. imposing some sort of restriction on travel/trade but the other way around??? Weird.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:35 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

happyt1 wrote:
This makes no sense to me.....I can see the Aruban Govt. imposing some sort of restriction on travel/trade but the other way around??? Weird.

It has everything to do with putting the blame for the situation elsewhere. In Maduro’s version, the people of Venezuela are not suffering because he is making a mess, but because the ABC islands are robbing them. The guy is mad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:10 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

dutchdushi wrote:
comet07 wrote:
dutchdushi wrote:

They can not visit Aruba on a direct flight. Ofcourse they can fly through a third country, for instance Colombia.

That's what I assumed. Of course, it would add additional cost for the trip, but I think the tourists from VZ are well off & probably keep their money
in banks outside VZ. We rented our 3rd week last September from a Venezuelan & they had a Citibank account in the USA.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:06 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I guess you did hijack the thread Alan :lol: