It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:28 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Some massive wave action at Druif Beach with breakers exceeding twelve feet. The sports vendor closed early afternoon, not wanting to rent anything that would put people in the water I guess. The waves were not consistent at all: Calm for four or five minutes then two or three thundering, crashing waves would hit.

Very little wind the past ten days here. Could see Venezuela from Druif Beach, have never seen that from this vantage point during any of our previous 18 visits.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:49 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Wow! I was further south at the beach yesterday and the water was murky...usually clear and calm. I told others there must be some wild water events somewhere 'out there'. Thanks for the update. I have had two days on Eagle recently where it was not a good idea to go in the water...very rough!!

Coach Brian Stone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:07 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

It seems this is caused by the same depression that hit the east coast of the US last weekend with those high winds. I guess it sucks away the wind, and creates these waves. There is a warning for high waves until the end of this week.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:21 pm 
Prolific

Waves have been awesome at eagle the past few days. We can see them building out near the two ships, then about 5 minutes later they hit eagle beach. We can see them forming in the morning from our balcony at la cabana. NO wind yesterday but it was back today.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:48 am 
Prolific

Yesterday Manchebo beach was under water all the way to their pavillion. We actually walked in it and it was between one to three inches deep. We have never seen anything like this in all the years we have been staying on Eagle beach. It was really cool and they have been surfing in that area for the last two days. It has been a really wild up and down weather pattern this trip!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:19 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

We were at Druif Beach visiting our friends who are at Divi Village on Feb 16. A lot of wave action then with intermittent
very strong and higher. Actually departing the water a wave knocked me and another fellow down. We neeed assist to
get upright. One night while dining at Matthew's the wave action was strong!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:46 pm 
Prolific

Someone told us today that a man from CT broke his leg in 3 places riding the waves in front of la cabana 2 days ago and was carried out of the water. They put a cast on him for the rest of his vacation but he will have surgery once he gets home.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:40 am 
Sophomore

Please take heed of the red flags! Last year I went in when the red flags were out. The waves did not look that bad and they weren't until I was getting out. The undertow and a large wave treated me like a rag doll. I was slammed into the shallow water and hit with a thud. Fortunately I was not knocked out and broke no bones. If you have to get wet, find a swimming pool.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:10 am 
Prolific

We saw atleast ten body surfers trying to ride the waves all the may into the beach. Most of them didn't come close to making it and were tossed into the shallow water like a washing machine! Not my idea of a " fun day at the beach "! :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:20 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

this is one of the reasons I like palm beach(calm water). if I want to get body slammed i'll join the WWE.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:23 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

On the roughest day at Eagle beach a couple years ago I body surfed and had a blast in the water. The waves break right up on the shore so you have to be careful not to get dumped in the shallows. That was the day I felt something in the water with my feet and pulled up the nicest complete conch shell I have ever seen in Aruba. Perfect with all the spikes etc...all I could think of was that would have been a major ouch if I had been bounced off one of those spikes. I gave it to a lady who was in the water with us who said she was going to take it back to the States. She poo pooed the warning I gave her about the US customs. Wonder how she made out. The shell was at least 10 inches long, not ez to hide.