It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:39 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I look in on the Port Aruba Webcam almost every day just to see. Most days there's at least one cruise ship, several days there are two and once in a while there are three! Seems to be way more than before those destructive storms a while back.

With the exception of Puerto Rico are the other cruise destinations still under repair causing the still heavy cruise arrivals in Aruba?

AND...... any word on the progress of the cruiser destination beach improvements at the old Bushiri site?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:31 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

As far as cruise ports go, we took a 12 night cruise in Nov/Dec and a week cruise in January. Both of those cruises had itinerary changes due to the hurricanes last year.

A few of the ports substituted were ok and some not so ok. However the bottom line for us was the feeling of sadness we had and have for those islands and its people unable to rebound and be open for business. A port of call is just our playground or place to visit for 6-8 hours. A definite minor inconvenience to say the least. Those poor people and the devastation left behind is something so difficult to comprehend.

Even when we have disasters in the US we have the ability for first responders, supplies, aid etc to occur so much faster. Even at that there are problems but a heck of a lot less than the islands.

Aruba is definitely having more ships calling due to itinerary changes.

Insofar as the Bushiri I'd love to know what the progress is also. Such a beautiful spot and when it is completely rehabbed it will be a great area for the island for "day trippers" locals and others to enjoy. So happy to see this coming to fruition on the horizon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:15 pm 
Sophomore

The Bushiri Hotel has been completely demolished and the debris has been removed. So far there have been no improvements to the site. The beach area has a lot of potential. It will be interesting to see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:08 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

After you answer him can you help me. I know the moon is made of swiss cheese but what are the other planets made of.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:45 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Lets not forget the improvements to the downtown area targeted towards cruisers. The biggest drawback to the old hotel site is the location right beside the ship terminal. But that might be overcome with careful planning.....
Did someone mention a "Playa Aruba" idea already??
I got to figure out how to patent this........

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:55 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

The ship terminal is no longer there, it was moved about 2 to 3 years ago to Barcadera. The plan of the former government was to upgrade this part of the island to a parc and a beach. Not sure what the present government is planning to do.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:55 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

dutchdushi wrote:
The ship terminal is no longer there, it was moved about 2 to 3 years ago to Barcadera. The plan of the former government was to upgrade this part of the island to a parc and a beach. Not sure what the present government is planning to do.

I meant the cruise ship terminal........which will probably be expanded in the near future too. The success/failure of a beach destination at this spot is going to depend greatly on services. Transportation, eateries, bathrooms and of course an attractive beach and park area. Looking at recent development on the island I know that they can do something nice. I might even spend a day or two there checking it out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:02 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

December cruise. Sint Maarten was skipped. St. Thomas was used...scattered power outages still existed. One shop would have power; next one would not. The common statement was that inventory in warehouse was destroyed by flood waters...and re-supply was slow.
San Juan was a port of call. Port area mostly had power, but same story as St. Thomas. When the shops did not have power, it was because of high water.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:29 am 
Senior

I have noticed that some of the cruise ships are staying overnight and leaving early in the morning.