It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:05 am 
Senior

Construction is due to start next month on a roundabout at the Superfoods intersection. I have seen some pretty bad crashes there so I think this is a good thing. Plus the traffic signals always seem to not be working for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:45 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Roundabouts...... to us New Englanders "rotaries"..... are usually a good thing for a variety of reasons. But up here we have some sort of warnings announcing a rotary ahead.

On Aruba, one thing I'd like to suggest to the traffic folks down there is to post some sort of early warning signs of these roundabouts and some level of ground visibility alert such as a yellow sign posted at the edge with a flow arrow directing all lanes of oncoming traffic and/or an on ground painted lane marker squeezing traffic to drive to the direction of the flow around the rotary.

Just last year we were driving toward Aloe Vista and (my bad, I guess!!) while glancing at some of the roadside places I came within a few feet of driving straight over a fairly new rotary and being launched 'ski-jump-style' into the follow up traffic lane. No signs. No lights or road lines. No bumpy in-pavement warning things like near the old Sasaki Texaco station. No raised lane markers like by the airport. Just a grimy, dirty, black roundabout which is fairly invisible until you get pretty close to it.

That's all. Roundabouts on Aruba are a good idea.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:58 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Arubadan wrote:
Construction is due to start next month on a roundabout at the Superfoods intersection. I have seen some pretty bad crashes there so I think this is a good thing. Plus the traffic signals always seem to not be working for some reason.

Made several trips to Superfoods during our 3-week trip last September & the traffic lights were not working properly just about each time - took way too long for the light to change. Also had the same experience as Lefty when I almost drove through a traffic circle - no warning sign. maybe they can put up something simple like a flag pole in the middle of the circle.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:33 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Arubadan wrote:

Good news, thanks for sharing. We've taken to travelling a back road to come and go to Super Food just to avoid those signals.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:40 pm 
Senior

Makes it harder to WALK across the street to go to Superfoods. I think it would have been cheaper to fix the light.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:26 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

1 or 2 lane roundabouts are fairly easy to negotiate...depending on speed entering.
The mega-roundabout by the airport is confusing and difficult to get in the correct lane with the volume of traffic.

In our area, a rotary was installed on SR 44 going out of DeLand...the scene of a violent, fiery crash with 4 deaths (including 3 young children). The crash was before the traffic circle. Now, the fast traffic (legal 45 mph) has to slow to enter the circle. Two lesser used side roads have a chance to get in. That one seems to be a no-brainer to me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:11 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

leftyjy wrote:
Roundabouts...... to us New Englanders "rotaries".....

To us New Yorkers, they are "traffic circles"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:37 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

This should make it a lot easier to get out of Super Foods in the am and pm. The back up made it almost impossible at times to take a left towards the highway.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:44 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

It is a puzzling maze just trying to negotiate around that parking lot at Super Foods to depart and get on your way....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:24 pm 
Senior

http://www.vacationsbyaruba.com/news-up ... rom-aruba/

Looks like the roads around this intersection will be closing for 3 months to construct the roundabout.