All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:28 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Click here: Aruba Airport expansion

Aruba’s international airport is currently operating at full capacity, handling 2.6 million
passengers yearly. The $200 million expansion project will create a state-of the-art
airport and increase the airport’s capacity.

NACO (Netherlands airport consultants), part of Royal Haskoning DHV, has been awarded
the contract to redesign and expand Aeropuerto Internacional Reina Beatrix. The construction
will start in 2018 with a 4 year duration.

The airport expansion includes 3 additional contact gates, 2 extra bus gates and a broader
selection of retail, food and beverage outlets.

Gateway 2030 is the airport’s first major expansion since 2000. The expansion will include
new check-in facilities, luggage system and upgrading the screening process to full EDA
TSA standards for US bound passengers.

The Gateway 2030 project has been registered for LEED Silver accreditation. Green energy
generated by solar panels will be used the supply the airports electricity. An automated
building management system for lighting and cooling based on the airport occupancy
will be incorporated.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:51 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Nice.....They could also use an expansion in the security/custom areas to handle those busy Saturdays.....Although we have always gone early and then spent our last 2-3 hrs in Aruba in the departure lounge. Better than stressing about missing our flight.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:44 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

It looks beautiful! Hopefully they'll upgrade the PA system so announcements can be heard and clearly understood.

Thanx, Eddy. This is good news!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:29 am 
Prolific

Looks very nice.
Will this eliminate need to check in bags at desk, get screened, then get bags again and get screened again?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:05 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Who is the blonde woman in the black dress?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:08 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubamikey wrote:
Who is the blonde woman in the black dress?

your new virtual girlfriend. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:02 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Looks great, hopefully it speeds up the check in to gate process

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:49 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

While we're on the subject of the airport, I'd like to ask, especially Eddy, about the occasional one last scan as arriving passengers exit the baggage carousel room.

We've been arriving on Wednesday or Thursday for the last several years and for the last 3 or 4 years, after we get our luggage off the carousel and after I stop at the Dufry Liquor shop we have had to get in a line headed for the exit door furthest from us and put all our stuff into one last scan.
I'm curious why that is done on a Wed. or Thurs. but friends arriving on Fridays and Saturdays have never had to experience that scan.

Will that scan be eliminated once the airport is renovated? What is it for?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:24 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I had my luggage scanned twice on a Friday, so they do scan on that day as well. I guess they will keep the scan after the renovation. They use it to see if you don’t bring in more licor and cigarettes then allowed. I think they also use it to see if you don’t bring in drugs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:57 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

leftyjy wrote:
While we're on the subject of the airport, I'd like to ask, especially Eddy, about the occasional one last scan as arriving passengers exit the baggage carousel room.

We've been arriving on Wednesday or Thursday for the last several years and for the last 3 or 4 years, after we get our luggage off the carousel and after I stop at the Dufry Liquor shop we have had to get in a line headed for the exit door furthest from us and put all our stuff into one last scan.
I'm curious why that is done on a Wed. or Thurs. but friends arriving on Fridays and Saturdays have never had to experience that scan.

Will that scan be eliminated once the airport is renovated? What is it for?

I have found over the past few years when arriving during mid-week, they will generally scan bags. However, once the line is backed up to the steps where one enters the luggage area from Customs, they stop the scanning. Since the weekends are much busier, they have to move out arrivals out of the luggage area for the next bunch of arriving passengers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:46 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Every time I have departed the airport (four/five times a year) my luggage has been scanned twice. Just left on a Saturday and the lines were horrendous, still did both scans.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:17 pm 
Senior

I am confused! :? Are you talking about leaving the airport after arrival or for departure? It sounds like arrival but in 24 years I have never had by bags even looked at leaving the airport. Always straight out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:41 pm 
Senior

Ditto, Picked up 2 bottles of booze and walked right out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:20 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Arubadan wrote:
I am confused! :? Are you talking about leaving the airport after arrival or for departure? It sounds like arrival but in 24 years I have never had by bags even looked at leaving the airport. Always straight out.

My remarks where about having my bags scanned after arrival. It happens between when you pick up your bags from the carrousel and when you go through the door to the hall of the airport.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:32 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

When we ARRIVE on a Wednesday or Thursday and after we get our luggage off the carousel and after a stop at the Dufry liquor shop we enter a line on our way out of the airport and have to get in a long line heading out the door where we have to load our bags on one last scan.