It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:16 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

That is a scan for drugs and bringing in illegal products or stocks to the island. That will remain. It is something they have placed recently. Since many illegal products are entering the island, including a number of imported medicine to sell on the black market.

What will not remain, is the second luggage scan when departing on US bound flights. The current situation to check-in your luggage at the check-in counter, you proceed to pass through Aruban immigration, and do a security check, and then pick-up your checked in luggage again to go through U.S. Customs and Immigration and have it scan again, that latter scan will be gone. So once you check in your luggage, no need to pick it up again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:04 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Hey Eddy.....two things.....
1) WooHoo for the simplified departure for the US. I always wondered why there was the repetition of similar services. Better and easier to cooperate and do the inspections/security jointly. How about immigration, then US customs and then gate/departure lounge security?? I know that in some international airports they scan and seal your luggage-each piece-then you check it and are done with it.
Just remember folks.....NO MEAT, VEGGIES, OR SHELLS/CORAL etc.......
2)Illegal drugs etc I get, but why would Arubans with the national health care system smuggle medicines into the country to sell on a black market? I thought the health care was free or at very little cost.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:57 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

happyt1 wrote:
1) WooHoo for the simplified departure for the US. I always wondered why there was the repetition of similar services. Better and easier to cooperate and do the inspections/security jointly. How about immigration, then US customs and then gate/departure lounge security?? I know that in some international airports they scan and seal your luggage-each piece-then you check it and are done with it.
2)Illegal drugs etc I get, but why would Arubans with the national health care system smuggle medicines into the country to sell on a black market? I thought the health care was free or at very little cost.

It is mainly South Americans that smuggle medicine to sell them cheaper on the island. If a particular medicine is not covered by the Aruban Health Insurance System, and you have to pay for it entirely or partially by yourself as a patient, than it might be lucrative for the smuggler to sell it to you cheap. Therefore it is wise that if you bring a number of medication bottles on the island with you, that you have a doctors prescription at hand, or a special medicine passport. If you bring a few bottles of the same medicine with you without any document to back up the reason for bringing them in, then they will be confiscated.

Talking about the scan upon arrival at the airport after picking up your luggages, an American was caught just this weekend smuggling candy that is not allowed on the island due to the drug content in it. The American was let go, but the candy was confiscated.

Story is in papiamento.
http://24ora.com/douane-a-kita-mangelna ... i-turista/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:10 am 
Freshman

Will they be adding Global Entry for quicker US customs processing for those pre-approved ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:27 am 
Prolific

Global Entry kiosks have been there for awhile.

Great news that the double security checks on departure will be ended. It is a large inconvenience and a waste of time. It will surly speed up the departure process.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:20 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Eddy wrote:
happyt1 wrote:

It is mainly South Americans that smuggle medicine to sell them cheaper on the island. If a particular medicine is not covered by the Aruban Health Insurance System, and you have to pay for it entirely or partially by yourself as a patient, than it might be lucrative for the smuggler to sell it to you cheap. Therefore it is wise that if you bring a number of medication bottles on the island with you, that you have a doctors prescription at hand, or a special medicine passport. If you bring a few bottles of the same medicine with you without any document to back up the reason for bringing them in, then they will be confiscated.

Talking about the scan upon arrival at the airport after picking up your luggages, an American was caught just this weekend smuggling candy that is not allowed on the island due to the drug content in it. The American was let go, but the candy was confiscated.

Story is in papiamento.
http://24ora.com/douane-a-kita-mangelna ... i-turista/

Thanks Eddy.
Just out of pure curiosity, but what sort of medication is not covered by a national health care system? Are the costs of healthcare in Aruba weighted by income or ability to pay? I always thought the costs were just paid by taxes........By the way, the one time we needed minor health care services that I can remember we just used a credit card and the costs were quite reasonable.
All I could think of looking at the article was the THC gummies are illegal in the US as well....they would have seen a couple hours in a courtroom at least if they got busted here.