It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:41 pm 
Prolific

Airline fares from Newark and JFK to Aruba this August are very high. EWR fares are over $800 and JetBlue fares from JFK are over $660. (nonstop)

There are discount sites that are offering somewhat lower fares. What are the downsides, if any, to using a discount site like Kayak, Cheaptickets, Priceline, Expedia...?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:18 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

From family member experience....if the flight is delayed,etc the airline takes care of those who booked with 'them' first....others wait. That info is a few years old....other people may have recent info.

(Lucille Ball)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:08 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

No downside. I almost always buy from Expedia. I check airline sites too, but only a couple times have I seen a fare that is not available on Expedia. Last fall Delta delayed my flight to JFK (weather related) which meant that we would arrive several hours after the flight to AUA left. The best Delta could do was offer me a flight the next day. One call to Expedia and I was transferred to AA who got us there on the original day. Expedia arranged for the full refund of the Delta ticket.
You also get to talk with someone from the Philippines.....that might deter some folks. I rather enjoy talking to them-they are very nice when they find out that I am interested in how their weather is etc....
Other thing is that if you bundle your flight and hotel you can get some very good deals.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:17 pm 
Prolific

As someone who was a travel agent. There is no benefit from buying from a 3rd party site . Strictly on airline tickets you will not find it cheaper then the airlines website . Better off buying from airlines in case of problem much easier to deal with and willing to work with you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:41 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I'd rather deal with the airline directly vs. booking airfare through a discount site. This past fall we were supposed to travel to Anguilla but because Irma really destroyed a lot on the island we switched to Providenciales. One FB message with all of our info to JetBlue and the switch was done, credit was issued to our CC as the fare to T&C was cheaper than going to Anguilla (via SXM) and that was that.