The Aruba Forums
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here



CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: a gem ruined
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:25 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:06 pm
Posts: 1
when we started coming here in the 1970's this was paradise on earth. the newcomers who started to arrive in the 90,s think it is paradise they have no idea and will never know what aruba was like back then. i am heartbroken to see what the island has become. it is still ok here because the weather is dependable in the winter months,
but it is so americanized and overbuilt it is a shame. we could walk from the divi to the end of eagle beach,
where la cabana now is and wasnt before, and not see one person, now you see thousands.
all good things come to an end!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a gem ruined
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:18 am 
Offline
Sophomore

Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:49 am
Posts: 27
I am tired of these sorts of complaints! Once, I had the good fortune to spend a summer in Rome with a group of teachers and grad students. One of our running jokes was that Rome would really be great if there weren't so many tourists. The point of the joke was that we were tourists ourselves and had no basis to complain. Aruba is not a "gem ruined," it is a gem that has been discovered by more people. If you don't like seeing people on the beach, go find a deserted island and go for a walk there! When we visit Aruba I walk from the north end of Eagle beach to Bashiri beach every morning. I have a smile on my face and say hello those who are out enjoying the sun, the sand, and the surf. I certainly don't wish that the buildings and the people weren't there. I am glad to share my happiness with everyone I meet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a gem ruined
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:39 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:07 pm
Posts: 16869
Location: Connecticut
Mohair wrote:
I am tired of these sorts of complaints! Once, I had the good fortune to spend a summer in Rome with a group of teachers and grad students. One of our running jokes was that Rome would really be great if there weren't so many tourists. The point of the joke was that we were tourists ourselves and had no basis to complain. Aruba is not a "gem ruined," it is a gem that has been discovered by more people. If you don't like seeing people on the beach, go find a deserted island and go for a walk there! When we visit Aruba I walk from the north end of Eagle beach to Bashiri beach every morning. I have a smile on my face and say hello those who are out enjoying the sun, the sand, and the surf. I certainly don't wish that the buildings and the people weren't there. I am glad to share my happiness with everyone I meet.

Well said! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a gem ruined
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:08 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:51 am
Posts: 1508
Location: michigan
I have been visiting Aruba since 1974. It is still my favorite vacation. It has had major changes but so has my home town, New York City, and everywhere else in the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a gem ruined
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:34 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 1:36 pm
Posts: 8169
Location: Bayville NJ
i agree that the island isnt the same but everything changes. Yes, for us the malls and commercialism may be a turn off but think of the locals who now have conveniences they didn't have before.

still paradise in my eyes.

_________________
Linda

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a gem ruined
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:49 am 
Offline
Senior

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:03 pm
Posts: 131
We only started going a dozen years ago and have seen some changes in that time. Still, to my wife and I along with some of our friends and family it remains a favorite destination. I still tend to go in the off season when it is less crowded though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a gem ruined
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:15 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:43 am
Posts: 11614
Location: Minneapolis, MN
I am a "newcomer who started to arrive in the 90's" and have seen many changes over the years, too. Most I don't like but we adjust (for instance, moving from Palm Beach to Eagle Beach around the year 2004.) Do I miss the way the island was back in the mid 90's? Absolutely! But every town, city, country, island changes - some good changes, some bad changes (depending on your perspective). You just need to adjust and look for the good.

_________________
~Amy~®

Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017
34th trip to Aruba: May 2017
Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017
35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a gem ruined
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:31 pm 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:34 pm
Posts: 673
I am a "newcomer" who first started traveling to Aruba in 1996.

As Palm beach became more crowded, I started staying on Eagle Beach. Rarely do I venture to Palm Beach now.

I adapt to the changes and am just very thankful that I am fortunate to travel to a destination many people may never see.

LuAnn


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a gem ruined
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:29 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:22 am
Posts: 22235
We had about seven or eight fun family vacations in Aruba from the early 1990's to 2007, but we've moved on. I know crowded is relative term, but the beaches became too crowded for us, and there's no way on God's green earth that I'm getting up at a zero dark hour to secure a palapa and chairs on vacation. Once we found T&C in 2002, that helped us move on. Now we're moving on from T&C for the same reason - too crowded. It's become the new "it" spot, especially the last few years, and with the looming threat of a 12-story Ritz Carlton to be built, in our opinion it will ruin the landscape of Grace Bay forever.

Thankfully, the Caribbean is a big and beautiful place, with some undiscovered gems. We went to Anguilla in May and it had everything we look for in a vacation, including uncrowded beaches. Tons of them. Plus authentic beach bbq shacks and beach bars where the price of lunch covers chairs, an umbrella and a gorgeous view. We're looking at the Exumas for 2018 or 2019.

There's no shame in branching out and trying new things/places. It would be pretty boring (and crowded) if we all loved the same things and vacationed in the same places.

To the original poster, I hope you find a new destination that makes your heart sing.

_________________
Linda


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a gem ruined
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:34 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 1263
MuyLinda23 wrote:
We had about seven or eight fun family vacations in Aruba from the early 1990's to 2007, but we've moved on. I know crowded is relative term, but the beaches became too crowded for us, and there's no way on God's green earth that I'm getting up at a zero dark hour to secure a palapa and chairs on vacation. Once we found T&C in 2002, that helped us move on. Now we're moving on from T&C for the same reason - too crowded. It's become the new "it" spot, especially the last few years, and with the looming threat of a 12-story Ritz Carlton to be built, in our opinion it will ruin the landscape of Grace Bay forever.

Thankfully, the Caribbean is a big and beautiful place, with some undiscovered gems. We went to Anguilla in May and it had everything we look for in a vacation, including uncrowded beaches. Tons of them. Plus authentic beach bbq shacks and beach bars where the price of lunch covers chairs, an umbrella and a gorgeous view. We're looking at the Exumas for 2018 or 2019.

There's no shame in branching out and trying new things/places. It would be pretty boring (and crowded) if we all loved the same things and vacationed in the same places.

To the original poster, I hope you find a new destination that makes your heart sing.

Can a commercial plane land in Anguilla? We did a day trip to Anguilla (took a boat) when we vacationed in St. Maarten in 2004 & enjoyed snorkeling and the beach barbecue. Recall someone mentioning that Anguilla had only 2 traffic lights & that the airport could not accommodate large commercial planes.

_________________
“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.” – Abraham Lincoln


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a gem ruined
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:36 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:24 am
Posts: 1314
Location: Southern New Hampshire
personally, I hope everyone "moves on" from aruba. more space on the beach for me!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a gem ruined
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:40 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:22 am
Posts: 22235
comet07 wrote:
Can a commercial plane land in Anguilla? We did a day trip to Anguilla (took a boat) when we vacationed in St. Maarten in 2004 & enjoyed snorkeling and the beach barbecue. Recall someone mentioning that Anguilla had only 2 traffic lights & that the airport could not accommodate large commercial planes.


No. You have to fly into St. Martin and take a ferry over to Anguilla. We took a straight flight from Boston to St. Martin, and including the time on the ferry and the taxi ride to our hotel, it was about 6.5 hours. And I think there may be three traffic lights now - but don't quote me. :wink:

_________________
Linda


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a gem ruined
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:34 pm 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:32 am
Posts: 314
Location: ny
Pretty sure you can fly to AXA from SJU


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a gem ruined
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:22 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:47 am
Posts: 4324
comet07 wrote:
MuyLinda23 wrote:
We had about seven or eight fun family vacations in Aruba from the early 1990's to 2007, but we've moved on. I know crowded is relative term, but the beaches became too crowded for us, and there's no way on God's green earth that I'm getting up at a zero dark hour to secure a palapa and chairs on vacation. Once we found T&C in 2002, that helped us move on. Now we're moving on from T&C for the same reason - too crowded. It's become the new "it" spot, especially the last few years, and with the looming threat of a 12-story Ritz Carlton to be built, in our opinion it will ruin the landscape of Grace Bay forever.

Thankfully, the Caribbean is a big and beautiful place, with some undiscovered gems. We went to Anguilla in May and it had everything we look for in a vacation, including uncrowded beaches. Tons of them. Plus authentic beach bbq shacks and beach bars where the price of lunch covers chairs, an umbrella and a gorgeous view. We're looking at the Exumas for 2018 or 2019.

There's no shame in branching out and trying new things/places. It would be pretty boring (and crowded) if we all loved the same things and vacationed in the same places.

To the original poster, I hope you find a new destination that makes your heart sing.

Can a commercial plane land in Anguilla? We did a day trip to Anguilla (took a boat) when we vacationed in St. Maarten in 2004 & enjoyed snorkeling and the beach barbecue. Recall someone mentioning that Anguilla had only 2 traffic lights & that the airport could not accommodate large commercial planes.


You can reach Anguilla by boat from Saint Maarten. There is a very small airport on Anguilla mostly catered to private planes, Clayton J. Lloyd International Airprot. Code AXA. Aruba's code is AUA. I have been to Anguilla, the beaches there are extremely beautiful. It is a flat island, flatter than Aruba, with not so much lush vegetation as Saint Maarten. I can imagine Anguilla was Aruba prior to tourism.

At then end most if not all islands in the Caribbean will be spoiled by tourism, the solution is managing growth and not fall into the greed of $$$!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: a gem ruined
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:54 am 
Offline
Senior

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 1:00 pm
Posts: 200
Location: Surprise, Arizona
I have loved Aruba for 21 years and yes the tourism has been bought by the Marriott and the RIU, which is obvious. Still a great place, with a lot of friends there. We just avoid the Marriottville and RIU- Ville.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group