All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Limit on visiters
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:58 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Been reading hints on this and other sites that Aruba will be limiting the number of people who can come to the island.My question is how do they intend to do it.

Here in NY you have Jetblue, United, Delta and others with several flights a day.

Post subject: Re: Limit on visiters
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:54 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I guess government will first of all limit the countries for which they open the borders. And they can limit the amount of flights coming in. Airlines can say they have flights, but in the end it is the country that will decide which are allowed to land and which not.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:58 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Interesting how this will work for fixed week timeshare owners. :?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:19 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

karen1 wrote:

I was thinking that while I was booking my flight on Sunday. What if it is not full swing on Jan? Oh well, what are you going to do right? Nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:36 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Will the limit apply to sales of new vacations? How will it affect people who already have paid reservations or own weeks at properties? Which countries will be excluded? How will they determine the "safe" countries and "unsafe" countries? Unreliable tests needed before departure?
A lot of this pandemic response has been shrouded in mystery and inconsistency. wash....No Wash, Mask....No Mask, Test....No Test and on and on. All the gallons of hand sanitizer snatched off the shelves mean nothing if someone beside you sneezes? The same cities that were crying desperately for more help(money) never shut down their crowded public transport systems? Various statistics are being pushed out by the true believers in the horrible pandemic and also by those who claim it all to be all a bunch of political bunk. All true?
I know where I live 80%+ of the deaths have been at long term care facilities, where almost every death now is listed as a corona event. Things got so bad that golf courses briefly were closed, but luckily Home Depot was deemed "essential". And large retail chains have had banner sales month after month. Mom and pop businesses were closed....Walmart open(and crowded) but beaches closed?
I know 2 people who have tested positive for the virus. One had no idea they were exposed, the other had a mild flu. No one else in their homes got it or tested +ve.....
The news media finally got another grim topic to report on or I really felt they might have had to do virus reruns....
This is going to be one big wait and see event.
(Lets face it-if you win an award for going off topic you now have the moral obligation to go anywhere you want) ADD Rules.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:46 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

froggy wrote:
karen1 wrote:

I was thinking that while I was booking my flight on Sunday. What if it is not full swing on Jan? Oh well, what are you going to do right? Nothing.

With fixed weeks, use it or lose it, we really don’t have a choice but to book our air. Not sure I should have booked my bonus vac in Dec. i’m sure... I hope the Timeshare Association ATSA is at the table during these talks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:03 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I know CLBR has been at the talks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:03 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Forgot. Well said happy. I agree with it all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:18 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

they have done such a great job on the island, i can't imagine how hard it is to find a way to open safely. its easy to limit hotel rooms but how do you pick which TS owners will be allowed? Timeshares can ask their members if they plan on using their week, riu always asks us to let them know if we will be using our weeks or not. there may be alot of people afraid to travel.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:36 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

happy1 well said. I will let you slide on the off topic as your very insightful comments were actually key to the discussion but I am watching.

Let's get back to NYC. JetBlue has 5 flights a day. Some direct some connecting. United has 6 some direct some connecting Delta the same and others. Figure 200 people on a plane. Just out of NYC and a few other cities that's over 3,000 a day arriving in Aruba. Add in Boston and the rest of the East Coast and Canada and in one day you can have 10,000 arriving in Aruba. I read they many want to limit the monthly numbers allowed to 10,000.

Will they say United you can only have two flights a day. What if I have my tickets for one of the cut flights and can't rebook the selected flights. Will it be like in some stores where they count the people entering and what if you land in Aruba and they say "sorry no more today"

Does the Netherlands and Europe get first choice. What about those Petri dish cruise ship people.

Aruba will try there best and like all of us hope for the best but as my sainted late great mother used to say....

You can't be a little bit pregnant.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:48 am 
Junior

happy1 well said.

I AGREE.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:55 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I would hope that those timeshare owners who lost their 2020 fixed weeks would be allowed an exemption from being shut out from visiting in 2021. How they could do that is a mystery.
I'm sure that the dates that Aruba was closed in 2020 are easily obtained and verification of the timeshare missed weeks are also verifiable by contacting the resorts.
To me, that would be the first steps to be taken in just who can and cannot visit in 2021.

Excellent thread as the government does look in here now and then.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:59 am 
Freshman

I believe that if the country you are travelling from hasn't got its cases under control then it is likely that flights from these countries may not be allowed to Aruba.

I read there will be temp testing in place, new check in rules, PPE for airport staff etc. Some airlines have made it compulsory to wear face coverings whilst on board. Electronic ED cards will all be used and will have COVID related questions.

If you have a high temp on arrival or other symptoms then you will be tested and if positive made to quarantine at a facility on the island.

I also read that the airport and tourism authority are considering making passengers be tested before even boarding the plane - TBC.

I think i read this all on Aruba Updates newsletter.

https://www.vacationsbyaruba.com/arubas ... -everyone/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:05 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Mega Dittos Happy - the "experts" have been wrong all along

“As a general rule, when the NY Times, the Washington Post, NPR, Public Broadcasting Service, NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, and CNN begin to parrot a narrative, the truth often is found in simply believing just the opposite”. Victor Davis Hanson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:17 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Where do you see a limit on visitors?