The Aruba Forums
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grouper
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:39 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I don't believe we have ever ordered Grouper at Wacky Wahoo because we like to have the other catch-of-the-days that most other restaurants do not have - like Barracuda & Wahoo. I'll make a point of ordering Grouper at Wacky's next September.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:47 pm 
Senior

Comet, thanks for all the reviews!

If you look at Comets photos, IMO, West Deck, Passions, Barefoot, Papiamento and Matthews Grouper all looks like the fillets I get at Lings. They are all thin cuts of fish. As I said before, I thought the Grouper in Aruba was a different species, a smaller fish. I now know this not to be the case and most likely not Grouper at all. It never really entered my mind that a restaurant or grocery store would not actually be selling what they claim! I don't get the need for deception, is it to be able to charge more? I don't think that is the case at Lings as the cost is fairly cheap. Grouper is not a popular fish where I live, mostly because of the cost so I never see it on a restaurant menu. I have to admit, I find the deception a little annoying!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:15 am 
Prolific

don't focus so much on the fish ,that you pay 100.00 dollars for a 5.00 bottle of wine "its lifes illusions I recall I really don't know life at all"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:25 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Arubadan wrote:
As I said before, I thought the Grouper in Aruba was a different species, a smaller fish. I now know this not to be the case and most likely not Grouper at all.

This must explain why I've never liked "Grouper" in Aruba and haven't ordered it in years. I thought maybe my taste buds had changed when it was actually the fish that had changed! :lol: :lol:

I will stick to my usual faves: Wahoo and Mahi-Mahi.

Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017
34th trip to Aruba: May 2017
Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017
35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:00 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Gilligans has the best fish sandwich I have had, just don't know what it was!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:28 pm 
Freshman

ArubaAmy wrote:
Arubadan wrote:
As I said before, I thought the Grouper in Aruba was a different species, a smaller fish. I now know this not to be the case and most likely not Grouper at all.

This must explain why I've never liked "Grouper" in Aruba and haven't ordered it in years. I thought maybe my taste buds had changed when it was actually the fish that had changed! :lol: :lol:

Couldn't agree with you more Amy. Speaking for ourselves we'll never order an alleged Grouper meal ever again in Aruba from whatever restaurant !!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:52 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

kris02420 wrote:
ArubaAmy wrote:
Arubadan wrote:

Couldn't agree with you more Amy. Speaking for ourselves we'll never order an alleged Grouper meal ever again in Aruba from whatever restaurant !!!

I could never figure out why I always liked it in Mexico but not in Aruba. I even told my husband once after I ordered a Grouper sandwich in Aruba (many years ago) to remind me to never order Grouper again because I just didn't care for it anymore. :lol:

Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017
34th trip to Aruba: May 2017
Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017
35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:41 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

If it tastes good, it IS GOOD.

You don't want to be cheated in terms of paying for a "premium" fish versus a cheaper one.
There have been several scandals about some of the best restaurants in Florida serving "mislabeled" fish...substituting something cheaper for a name-brand fish...grouper, red snapper etc.

Unless you are an expert, how can you tell?

But then again, we will not continue to patronize restaurants (here or there) that have been shown to serve a misleading product.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:04 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Red Fish is one of the few restaurants I trust to say exactly which fish they are serving. They rarely have grouper & when they do, it is moochi(with a bone, not a filet). Their red snapper was the most flavorful & delicious I have ever had. They don't get it often.

I have always liked the "grouper" at Wacky Wahoo. I don't know what kind of fish it really is, but I like the way it's cooked and will continue to order it. I don't find the prices of grouper to be premium priced.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:23 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

As acting president of the GADL** let's get off the Grouper bashing and really ask yourself would you REALLY know what fish you were eating.

New York Times wrote a story about consumers, restaurants and stores and types of fish they were selling.

They did a sampling of 120 "red snapper" fish, 28 were a different species of fish and 17 were not even snapper. Of the samples of tuna Sushi 94% were not tuna. Others were so called sea bass, mahi-mahi, and swordfish.

Let's face it folks how many of us could truly look at a piece of fish filet and guarantee that it was what it says it is. Sorry but once a fish is cut up and cooked and plated good luck.

** Grouper Anti-Defamation League

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:30 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
As acting president of the GADL** let's get off the Grouper bashing and really ask yourself would you REALLY know what fish you were eating.

New York Times wrote a story about consumers, restaurants and stores and types of fish they were selling.

They did a sampling of 120 "red snapper" fish, 28 were a different species of fish and 17 were not even snapper. Of the samples of tuna Sushi 94% were not tuna. Others were so called sea bass, mahi-mahi, and swordfish.

Let's face it folks how many of us could truly look at a piece of fish filet and guarantee that it was what it says it is. Sorry but once a fish is cut up and cooked and plated good luck.

I trust this is not an elected office.......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:24 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

happyt1 wrote:
arubajoey wrote:

I ran un-opposed. You may all think that something is fishy about all this and you would be right.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:07 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
happyt1 wrote:
arubajoey wrote:

I ran un-opposed. You may all think that something is fishy about all this and you would be right.

There is something rotten about the electoral process nowadays.....or it might just be the quality of the candidates........
Ah well, we get the best politicians we can buy........

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:59 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:

Certain fish do have their own flavor, aside from how it's cooked or spices added.
I know the taste of red snapper, salmon (too easy), barracuda and tuna.
Once, at a restaurant with a "pirate" theme, I ordered grouper & was served barracuda. I called the waiter on it & he swore it was grouper. The texture of the 2 fishes is entirely different. I think he was afraid to take it back, because he probably ordered it wrong. Never went back. I don't like to be treated like the stooge I know I am.
The buttery, flaky white fishes become more difficult to ascertain.
I love the grilled fish I order as grouper in Aruba. If it's cooked right & tastes good, I'm happy with whatever they call it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:19 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

artdorko wrote:
arubajoey wrote:

Certain fish do have their own flavor, aside from how it's cooked or spices added.
I know the taste of red snapper, salmon (too easy), barracuda and tuna.
Once, at a restaurant with a "pirate" theme, I ordered grouper & was served barracuda. I called the waiter on it & he swore it was grouper. The texture of the 2 fishes is entirely different. I think he was afraid to take it back, because he probably ordered it wrong. Never went back. I don't like to be treated like the stooge I know I am.
The buttery, flaky white fishes become more difficult to ascertain.
I love the grilled fish I order as grouper in Aruba. If it's cooked right & tastes good, I'm happy with whatever they call it.

Mindy can you give us all your cell phone number so when any of us want to order fish we can send you a photo and get your expert opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next