The Aruba Forums
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grouper
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:35 am 
Senior

IMO, at least at my home stores, Grouper is a large and thick piece of fish. At least 1"-1 1/2" thick and when it flakes, large pieces flake off. I have never had anything in Aruba, grocery store or restaurant, that has been like that. Every piece has been 1/2" thick at most. I just assumed it was another species of Grouper and the store prices were low because it was local.

From google:

"Grouper fillets are typically thick with a firm texture making them versatile for any chef and cook up white and flaky"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:46 pm 
Freshman

Arubadan wrote:
IMO, at least at my home stores, Grouper is a large and thick piece of fish. At least 1"-1 1/2" thick and when it flakes, large pieces flake off. I have never had anything in Aruba, grocery store or restaurant, that has been like that. Every piece has been 1/2" thick at most. I just assumed it was another species of Grouper and the store prices were low because it was local.

From google:

"Grouper fillets are typically thick with a firm texture making them versatile for any chef and cook up white and flaky"

Not sure why I m even posting again on this ! The post has taken a different direction than was intended. Aruba Dan your correct every time we had Grouper back home it is as you describe thick ,large flakes, but not so, never has been in Aruba no matter where we have had it. So when one day we were talking about Grouper and our friends told us about how Swai, which frankly I never heard of was being peddled off as Grouper at all the restaurants and where ever else it was being sold on the island. Thus as previous posted on here we made an inquiry at a particular establishment. This post has nothing to do with the restaurant we received that info or any other restaurant on the island. So are we the only ones who have ever heard of this, Swai being peddled off as grouper at pretty much every restaurant on the island? We just figured with all the knowledge, lol, that's posted on this website someone else had heard similar ? So the only question > Has anyone else heard similar?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:59 pm 
Senior

By not naming a restaurant you unfairly have put all under suspicion.

Do the right thing. Tell us what you know.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:18 pm 
Senior

After reading this article:

https://draxe.com/swai-fish/

I believe I have had Swai every single time I supposedly bought/ordered "Grouper" in Aruba. No doubt Lings is selling this as Grouper. I would not want to mention restaurants where I have ordered Grouper and IMO got this Swai because I am not 100% sure. But 99%! And the list is pretty extensive and includes many very popular ones. No more "grouper"for me in Aruba!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:27 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Western PA wrote:

If you google "swai being sold as grouper in restaurants" you'll see that it's happening a lot of places - here in the US and in the Caribbean.

I don't blame her for not mentioning the specific restaurant because chances are it's not the only restaurant on Aruba doing so, but that particular restaurant will get a bad rap if she names the restaurant.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:08 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

kris02420 wrote:
Arubadan wrote:

From google:

Not sure why I m even posting again on this ! The post has taken a different direction than was intended. Aruba Dan your correct every time we had Grouper back home it is as you describe thick ,large flakes, but not so, never has been in Aruba no matter where we have had it. So when one day we were talking about Grouper and our friends told us about how Swai, which frankly I never heard of was being peddled off as Grouper at all the restaurants and where ever else it was being sold on the island. Thus as previous posted on here we made an inquiry at a particular establishment. This post has nothing to do with the restaurant we received that info or any other restaurant on the island. So are we the only ones who have ever heard of this, Swai being peddled off as grouper at pretty much every restaurant on the island? We just figured with all the knowledge, lol, that's posted on this website someone else had heard similar ? So the only question > Has anyone else heard similar?

maybe we ought to re-phrase the OP question: does anyone know who has the best swai sandwich?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:14 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Arubadan wrote:
After reading this article:

https://draxe.com/swai-fish/

I believe I have had Swai every single time I supposedly bought/ordered "Grouper" in Aruba. No doubt Lings is selling this as Grouper. I would not want to mention restaurants where I have ordered Grouper and IMO got this Swai because I am not 100% sure. But 99%! And the list is pretty extensive and includes many very popular ones. No more "grouper"for me in Aruba!

can't see how you can make this statement after reading that article.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:24 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

kris02420 wrote:
Adding the name of the restaurant is irrelevant to the conversation. My original post is about Grouper being served or lack of being served on the island ! We're told its not a one restaurant issue. The person we spoke with just verified what we were told and his restaurant is a fine eating establishment which we frequent and will continue too. I am glad that some don't mind spending $30. plus for something that's being sold as grouper. To each there own. My question was and is has anyone else heard the same thing ? Swai being peddled off as Grouper in Aruba restaurants ?

Your original post is NOT the original question posted. The ORIGINAL question was "who has the best grouper sandwich"?
So your post is just as irrelevant as naming the name of a restaurant. So if you deem part of the conversation to be irrelevant, then yours is also irrelevant.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:26 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Jimmy B wrote:
kris02420 wrote:
Arubadan wrote:

From google:

maybe we ought to re-phrase the OP question: does anyone know who has the best swai sandwich?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:02 pm 
Senior

MuyLinda23 wrote:
Western PA wrote:

If you google "swai being sold as grouper in restaurants" you'll see that it's happening a lot of places - here in the US and in the Caribbean.

I don't blame her for not mentioning the specific restaurant because chances are it's not the only restaurant on Aruba doing so, but that particular restaurant will get a bad rap if she names the restaurant.

Strongly disagree. The poster said she had direct, confirmed knowledge of an Aruba restaurant committing fraud. How is sharing that first-hand information going to give the particular restaurant a "bad rap?"

Unless and until the poster shares the name, I think we should assume the story of the confirming conversation with the restauranteur is as phony as the "swai' possibly being served as "grouper" on the island.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:33 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Am I happy I really dislike grouper! As for asking which restaurant is committing fraud, read the post about it carefully. It mentions “grouper night”, which might narrow down the number of restaurants.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:17 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

cynthia wrote:
Jimmy B wrote:
kris02420 wrote:
Arubadan wrote:

From google:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't we all get along and agree on a "fish sandwich"? Personally I have yet to do a fish sandwich in Aruba. It seems like a waste.......where I am lobster rolls, clam rolls, fish sandwiches are everywhere. I suppose I should ask if they have one next time I am at WW. I am sure the chef would be thrilled. (with ketchup of course)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:56 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

The menu at Costa Linda offers 'grouper' as a dinner or in a sandwich. I really like both regardless of what other name this fish has.

Ling sells grouper fillets in a variety of seasonings or marinades. We have them at least twice when dining in.

Thick or thin, crusty or a little bit moist, fried or broiled...... in a restaurant or sold to us already seasoned by Ling...... my wife and I will continue enjoying it.

Never got sick or had the runs.

Fish we call "Grouper"!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:27 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Yes, indeed, this thread seems to have taken a turn from the original topic...

...but since there seems to be a lot of interest in the new direction, I'd like to point out that "seafood fraud" is not a new issue, nor is it limited to Aruba. For example, this article on NPR, and this one at Newsweek, discuss the mislabeling of fish, and Consumer Reports had an article on this as well...six years ago.

It's happening, and has been happening for years, everywhere. It doesn't mean the fish is unsafe to eat, or anything - it just means that you're not getting what you think you are (either when you buy it at home, or order it in a restaurant).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:07 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

We have been told by friends who own a restaurant on the island that almost all of the grouper is frozen, not fresh. They tell us that there is no way that they could catch enough to serve as much as they do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next