CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Grouper
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:48 am 
Freshman

Who has the best grouper sandwich????

Post subject: Re: Grouper
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:41 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

My husband decided in 2014 that it was the pool bar/restaurant at Costa Linda in the low rise section.

We stayed at the Phoenix that year, instead of our usual - the Marriott. When at the Marriott, we are content in sticking at the resort all day long. We really didn't care much for the Phoenix and were glad we had a car to venture out, so we did everyday..... and tried lots of grouper sandwiches. If I remember correctly, Matthew's was his least favorite - not crispy at all.

For dinner grouper - hands down - my personal favorite is the parmesan grouper at Barney's. 2nd best might have been at Yemanja (i?), but I can't remember the name of the dish.... I think it had cheese in or on it too.

Happy Hunting - try lots and report back (preferably before 11/12).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:02 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

had one at the pelican's nest for lunch last august. it was deep fried( I think you can also get it grilled)huge portion and came with fries. not sure it was fresh, may have been flash frozen, but for $8 it was a good value and worth a try.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:50 am 
Sophomore

Had a fabulous grouper sandwhich at Moomba. We went back twice for it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:21 am 
Freshman

Not to bust anyones bubble about grouper in Aruba, but we were told this past April while on the island that grouper is very seldom served if at all !!!!!! Your being served SWAI Swai is the common name for the iridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus), a species of shark catfish (family Pangasiidae) native to the large rivers Chao Phraya and Mekong in Southeast Asia. Anyone else hear the same thing ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:23 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

kris02420 wrote:
Not to bust anyones bubble about grouper in Aruba, but we were told this past April while on the island that grouper is very seldom served if at all !!!!!! Your being served SWAI Swai is the common name for the iridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus), a species of shark catfish (family Pangasiidae) native to the large rivers Chao Phraya and Mekong in Southeast Asia. Anyone else hear the same thing ?

I've heard similar things about the "grouper" served in some restaurants. I've had grouper at some places that reminded me of Basa filet, which I tried when it first appeared in NY & didn't care for it - very bland. I think Swai & Basa are in the same fish family. One way to tell is by the texture - grouper is firmer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:17 am 
Senior

I always wondered why the "grouper" fillets at Lings was always so much thinner than what I get at home. Whatever it is, it is pretty darn tasty! LOL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:46 am 
Freshman

When we were told about this that very few places if any in Aruba serve Grouper or even have it we confronted/asked an owner/friend of a restaurant that we frequent when he asked us if we were coming for Grouper night ! When I told him what we had been told "its not grouper but Swai", he didn't deny it and in fact told us it was true !!!! and if we wanted grouper he would get it for us . "REALLY" Now whatever you eating tasty or not, when we're paying $30 . for a grouper meal I want grouper. Grouper back home is a thick pc. of fish going for around $25. a pound. In Lings/seafood deli its a thin pc. of fish advertised as grouper for $1.99 florin ! We'll never order a grouper or whatever meal again in Aruba. If they pulled that back home in the states they would be fined .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:28 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

kris02420 wrote:
When we were told about this that very few places if any in Aruba serve Grouper or even have it we confronted/asked an owner/friend of a restaurant that we frequent when he asked us if we were coming for Grouper night ! When I told him what we had been told "its not grouper but Swai", he didn't deny it and in fact told us it was true !!!! and if we wanted grouper he would get it for us . "REALLY" Now whatever you eating tasty or not, when we're paying $30 . for a grouper meal I want grouper. Grouper back home is a thick pc. of fish going for around $25. a pound. In Lings/seafood deli its a thin pc. of fish advertised as grouper for $1.99 florin ! We'll never order a grouper or whatever meal again in Aruba. If they pulled that back home in the states they would be fined .

need to name names for your post to be credible. why protect some place that's misleading customers and allow people to speculate as to which one of the few places it may be.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:00 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

So, is this 'swai' fresh? Sorry if I missed part of a post. If so - then frankly, I'm not sure I really care too much. Yes, it would be nice if they called it what it really is, but frankly, we just enjoy fresh fish (or maybe even good frozen fish) while in Aruba. Whatever they are serving is almost always good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:01 pm 
Freshman

Adding the name of the restaurant is irrelevant to the conversation. My original post is about Grouper being served or lack of being served on the island ! We're told its not a one restaurant issue. The person we spoke with just verified what we were told and his restaurant is a fine eating establishment which we frequent and will continue too. I am glad that some don't mind spending $30. plus for something that's being sold as grouper. To each there own. My question was and is has anyone else heard the same thing ? Swai being peddled off as Grouper in Aruba restaurants ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:00 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

kris02420 wrote:
Adding the name of the restaurant is irrelevant to the conversation. My original post is about Grouper being served or lack of being served on the island ! We're told its not a one restaurant issue. The person we spoke with just verified what we were told and his restaurant is a fine eating establishment which we frequent and will continue too. I am glad that some don't mind spending $30. plus for something that's being sold as grouper. To each there own. My question was and is has anyone else heard the same thing ? Swai being peddled off as Grouper in Aruba restaurants ?

why would anyone dine at a restaurant that is not honest about the food they serve. it would be crossed off my list.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:03 pm 
Senior

If they claim to be serving grouper and are not, that's fraud.

Name names.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:39 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

If you gonna cry wolf, then you'd better tell us where the wolf is.

Had a questionable grouper meal a few years ago and would never order it again. Only ordered snapper or sea bass after that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:28 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Alright......so is the grouper at WW really grouper?