Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Re: Grouper
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:44 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
artdorko wrote:
arubajoey wrote:
As acting president of the GADL** let's get off the Grouper bashing and really ask yourself would you REALLY know what fish you were eating.

New York Times wrote a story about consumers, restaurants and stores and types of fish they were selling.

They did a sampling of 120 "red snapper" fish, 28 were a different species of fish and 17 were not even snapper. Of the samples of tuna Sushi 94% were not tuna. Others were so called sea bass, mahi-mahi, and swordfish.

Let's face it folks how many of us could truly look at a piece of fish filet and guarantee that it was what it says it is. Sorry but once a fish is cut up and cooked and plated good luck.

** Grouper Anti-Defamation League

Certain fish do have their own flavor, aside from how it's cooked or spices added.
I know the taste of red snapper, salmon (too easy), barracuda and tuna.
Once, at a restaurant with a "pirate" theme, I ordered grouper & was served barracuda. I called the waiter on it & he swore it was grouper. The texture of the 2 fishes is entirely different. I think he was afraid to take it back, because he probably ordered it wrong. Never went back. I don't like to be treated like the stooge I know I am.
The buttery, flaky white fishes become more difficult to ascertain.
I love the grilled fish I order as grouper in Aruba. If it's cooked right & tastes good, I'm happy with whatever they call it.

Mindy can you give us all your cell phone number so when any of us want to order fish we can send you a photo and get your expert opinion.

Only you big guy. Only you. And MrsAJ.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:12 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Four pages??????
Folks I think we are whipping a dead fish here.......

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:20 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

A friend went to Daily Fish at Super Foods the other day to buy grouper. She asked the man behind the counter if it was real grouper. He replied yes it's Tilapia Grouper. She walked away not buying Tilapia Grouper.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:00 am 
Senior

Liz from N.J. wrote:
A friend went to Daily Fish at Super Foods the other day to buy grouper. She asked the man behind the counter if it was real grouper. He replied yes it's Tilapia Grouper. She walked away not buying Tilapia Grouper.

OMG! :shock: Tilapia???? IMO the worst fish of all of them. I think I will bring my fishing rod next trip!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:02 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

kris02420 wrote:
Not to bust anyones bubble about grouper in Aruba, but we were told this past April while on the island that grouper is very seldom served if at all !!!!!! Your being served SWAI Swai is the common name for the iridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus), a species of shark catfish (family Pangasiidae) native to the large rivers Chao Phraya and Mekong in Southeast Asia. Anyone else hear the same thing ?

I've seen tilapia being served in Aruba and being called grouper! Grouper should be a thick filet while tilapia is flat like fillet of sole☹️☹️☹️

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:21 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Stay at the Divi AI and eat the bar pizzas and drink the Balashi.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:59 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

We just spent 8 nights on the island and ordered "Grouper" at least once a day, if not more. Knowing all that's been said in this thread and on Facebook in one of the Aruba groups, it's very disappointing to know we aren't eating what we think we are. We now realize why some places serve a thick piece; some serve thin. Pega Pega, Nos Clubhuis, Seabreeze were all thin pieces at lunch. I'm pretty sure Salt n Pepper was too. I can't remember what it looked like at other places (Moombas and Pelican's Nest). I don't remember West Deck either - but I ordered fingers, hubby ordered sandwich and both were good. I do remember this about dinners: Yemanja calls theirs "Grouper (Pangasius)" - so even though they imply that it's Grouper, we now know it's not. It's thick. Barefoot called theirs Grouper, and when I asked the server if it was really Grouper, she would not confirm it. Her nonverbal cues told me it was not Grouper, but she wouldn't budge when I asked her what it really was. I ordered something else. Barneys says their grouper is shipped in - frozen. I believe them. It's thick and tastes awesome. We ordered it two different ways and we both agree, it's still our best meal on the island.

I'm not an expert by any means, but these are my observations.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:36 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

This is why I never order "grouper" in Aruba. I stick with Wahoo, Barracuda, Snook and other local fishes.