All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Curacao
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:24 am 
Prolific

Thinking about spending a week in Curacao in 2022 tacked on to our Aruba vacation. Anyone been there? How was it? Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Curacao
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:59 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

It's been a number of years since we've been there, but I am sure it's even better than it was when we spent a week there. We really enjoyed it and it is nothing like Aruba. It is a much larger island and has a European flair to it. We stayed at the west end of the island where there is a marine park and a sea aquarium. The resort we stayed at is quite large and has been renovated and renamed, and I don't know the new name, but it was a short walk from the resort to the sea aquarium and we really enjoyed it. We did a day trip to the other side of the island to see the multitudes of pink flamingos and to go snorkelling. Very nice beaches. Willemstad is their main town and the colours remind me of Orangestad. There is a moving bridge that connects one part of Willemstad to another and swings open to allow boats through to the inner harbour. We enjoyed some Heinekens as we relaxed at a bar beside the canal. I highly recommend going and I would like to return some day.

Post subject: Re: Curacao
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:13 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

We travel to Curacao at least once a year for quick trips - during normal times. We usually stay at the Renaissance resort "in town", which is convenient for walking to restaurants and shops. We like to go for the change of scenery, the change of dining options, etc. It is an entirely different "vibe" than being in Aruba.

I can't predict what 2022 will bring (no one can guess about 2021 let alone 2022!), but as of now it's...inconvenient...to travel between the islands. There are a few small airlines that are making the trip, but the bigger one (Aruba Air) has not resumed flying. Covid-19 is less under control in Curacao than in Aruba, and travelling from Curacao back to Aruba now requires a covid-19 test (just like arriving from anywhere else). I have been told (...so I don't know if it's actually true or not...) that mask wearing is not at all common on Curacao these days, as opposed to on Aruba.

For us, for now, we won't be going (and will cancel our planned trip for January 2021). But I do look forward to the day we can visit there again.