All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Vaccine
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:27 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

It's clear we are very close here in the US. Read that there are over 50 countries working on their own vaccines which is fantastic.

I wonder if the Netherlands is working on one.

Post subject: Re: Vaccine
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:38 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
It's clear we are very close here in the US. Read that there are over 50 countries working on their own vaccines which is fantastic.

I wonder if the Netherlands is working on one.

Yes, we are. Janssen Pharma in the city of Leyden (home the eldest university of the Netherlands - my alma mater) is working on one. This is a daughter company of Johnson & Johnson. It is one of the five or six most promising vaccins in the last phase of testing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:45 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Great to hear.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:23 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Formulae and chemistry mixtures and recipes are being shared almost every hour by scientists all over the world. It comes as no surprise that countries seem to be coming closer to a safe, successful vaccine at just about the same time to be released.
My 50 YO son's best man is with the DEA in the Netherlands and has been there for four years and is expected to be there for another four or more years. His office was told they will all be getting vaccinated as soon as the vaccine is widely accepted as safe and effective. As DD said above, they are getting ready and are at about the same stage as we are here in the US.

But here's a question (or two) for ya:

Let's say Mr. Tourist gets his vaccine and the scheduled booster some time in January. He then makes his flight plans to go to Aruba and makes a reservation at his resort of choice.
Will he then be required to fill out the pesky ED form? And if so, will he be required to upload some proof of vaccination instead of PCR test results?
Might he still be asked (TOLD) he has to be tested upon arrival at the Aruba airport.... just in case?

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:11 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ED has been around for years and I have used it for Aruba and Curacao. With the pandemic it was expanded to encompass Covid.

Seeing that so far about 50% of the US population said they would take the vaccine and availability I think the "enhanced" ED and pre testing will be around for a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:20 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I have not yet read anything definitive if the different vaccines are a one and done like measles or polio versus similar to the flu shot where it is recommended to get one every year. Once the vaccine is distributed, it will be interesting to see how Aruba modifies it's entry requirements. Personally, I will request documentation that I have been vacinnated not knowing what may be required down the road for travelling regardless to where or on a cruise.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:26 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

SAFE???!!!

No one knows if the vaccines are safe. 4-6 months of trials tells you absolutely nothing as to the safety. All they know is that is may be effective, but at what costs in say a year after taking it? Most things like this usually go through years of trials with multiple tweaks along the way.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:58 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Arubadan I like your positive outlook.

Tonight as you folks watch TV you will see a dozen commercials for a dozen different medications for some very serious ailments. They will mention side effects. To me the side effects sometimes seem worse than what the medication is meant to cure. Yet millions of people take them and will continue to.

So even though these drugs have been approved and on the market for years they still have no guarantees do they.

Arubadan I don't know you but if you are a maturing adult you are likely on some type of prescription medication(s). Ones that comes with several pages of warnings.

Someone mentioned that the cure for polio took years. Yes in 1953 it was announced. I would like to think that science is a slight bit more advanced today 67 years later.

I hope there are many ArubaDan's out there. This way I can get my vaccine sooner.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:27 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

The vaccines for Covid have to go through the same acceptance process as any other vaccine. The fact that there is a vaccine so soon is because all resources, humanwise and moneywise, are put on finding one. Normally, it is up to where the pharmacists think they can make the most money or because of political reasons how much resources they put into developing a vaccine (that way they did put more effort in finding something against aids instead of for instance malaria - the latter causing much more deaths, but only in poor countries, not in the western countries).

Also, this is not a complicated virus, and similar to other sars virusses. So it is not that they had to start from scratch. In fact, most of the vaccines that are now in there last stages of acceptance, are build on excisting vaccines or on vaccines that were already being developed.

Do you really think those big pharmacists will put their reputation at risk by handing out vaccines that are dangerous? I don’t. Yes, there will be side effects. But like Joey said, all vaccines and medicines have side effects. I will take that risk over getting infected by Covid.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:44 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

dutchdushi wrote:

Also, this is not a complicated virus, and similar to other sars virusses. So it is not that they had to start from scratch. In fact, most of the vaccines that are now in their last stages of acceptance, are built on existing vaccines or on vaccines that were already being developed.

They were interviewing our Chief Public Health Officer on the news this week and he was explaining the exact same thing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:33 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubajoey wrote:

I hope there are many ArubaDan's out there. This way I can get my vaccine sooner.

I hope there are many Joeys out there so I don't have to worry about getting the vaccine!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:38 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

dutchdushi wrote:
The vaccines for Covid have to go through the same acceptance process as any other vaccine.

Do you really think those big pharmacists will put their reputation at risk by handing out vaccines that are dangerous?

Not true! They are applying for emergency approval which will allow for skipping several of the trial stages.

Hell yes they will put their reputation at risk. Make billions now and in a few years when they are sued for it, they will settle for a couple hundred million. It happens every day.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:52 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Arubadan wrote:
dutchdushi wrote:
The vaccines for Covid have to go through the same acceptance process as any other vaccine.

Do you really think those big pharmacists will put their reputation at risk by handing out vaccines that are dangerous?

Not true! They are applying for emergency approval which will allow for skipping several of the trial stages.

Hell yes they will put their reputation at risk. Make billions now and in a few years when they are sued for it, they will settle for a couple hundred million. It happens every day.

I don’t know about the States, but in Europe they are not skipping any trial stages. They do have trial stages at the same time instead of one after another.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:47 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

DD don't argue with Arubadan. Obviously he knows everything.

The fact that over 45,000 volunteers took part in the trails for one company and tens of thousands around the world are doing it as we write mean NOTHING. They are lying when they say they have 95+ success rate also

I read that only about 50% of the people who should take the Flu shot do each year. So to think people will not run to take the Covid is understandable.

To think there is some type of pharmaceutical conspiracy involving companies here in the US and around the world is laughable.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:18 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Joey, there you go again spouting YOUR opinions as the only truth, which I find laughable. Who said anything about a conspiracy? The question was do I trust them. Damn straight I don't as its been proven they will put out drugs that do more harm than good, especially when billions of dollars are at stake. Just look at the list of lawsuits that have been settled by the drug companies. Who said they were lying about the 95%? Not me. We were talking about possible side effects down the road. No one knows what they may be because we are only, in most cases, 4 months into these vaccine trials. Unless that is you know something the rest of the entire planet doesn't? Rushing a vaccine that MAY (it may very well have zero side effects but to soon to know) do more harm than good for a virus with over a 99% recovery rate, IMO, is the wrong thing to do. Millions of health care workers are going to be forced to be Guinea pigs, which I also think is wrong.