All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Thank you Ronnie
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:52 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

For your tripreport and restaurantreview. I appreciate that you took the time! Reading about the palapa situation here and on your earlier posts, makes me more glad that I rent a house with my own pool!

Post subject: Re: Thank you Ronnie
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:29 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Yup, getting stupid here, hopefully they figure it out, probably not :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:25 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thanks Ronnie!

Louis Tomlinson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:50 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Ingrid, I don't believe Ronnie had any trouble getting a seat by the pool so for pool people it wouldn't be an issue.

Nice report, lots of good information for those considering the HI.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:48 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

karen1 wrote:
Ingrid, I don't believe Ronnie had any trouble getting a seat by the pool so for pool people it wouldn't be an issue.

Nice report, lots of good information for those considering the HI.

Karen, I understand. But staying there, I would like to sit under a palapa on the beach, not at the pool. For me, I like the privacy and quietness of a home. We love the beach, though, and go there as well. But to a place without palapa wars going on.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:42 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thanks for writing and sharing your trip report. I will be curious how the palapas situation at the Holiday Inn plays out moving forward. We stayed there before when we added to our trip but can’t imagine doing so now with the changes they have made. I don’t have a problem getting to a palapas early to have the shade but I would hate to be hassled. I would hate even more to have a bunch of umbrellas in front of me.

I enjoyed your restaurant review too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:41 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

watched the video and want to congratulate Ronnie on his calm demeanor...good trip report

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:43 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thanks. We'll be there in about 4 weeks, so it will be interesting to see how it's going then. From what I understand, Platinum Elite members still get a reserved palapa for the week, but obviously, it will be further back than in the past.

but - as far as the whole situation goes.... Won't this pretty much be the same for all resorts going forward? Sounds like Holiday Inn has just stepped up and started the process sooner than others. Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:22 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

DonnaLee wrote:
Thanks. We'll be there in about 4 weeks, so it will be interesting to see how it's going then. From what I understand, Platinum Elite members still get a reserved palapa for the week, but obviously, it will be further back than in the past.

but - as far as the whole situation goes.... Won't this pretty much be the same for all resorts going forward? Sounds like Holiday Inn has just stepped up and started the process sooner than others. Am I missing something?

Yup, most hotels are first come first served for palapa's, the way it should be, no standing in lines and no exceptions for platinum elite members. Yes, you will be packed in with the rest of the cattle :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:28 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ronnieb wrote:
Yup, most hotels are first come first served for palapa's, the way it should be, no standing in lines and no exceptions for platinum elite members. Yes, you will be packed in with the rest of the cattle :lol:

Sorry ronnieb you are wrong. So it's better to get up at 6:00 AM (or even earlier) stand under a palapa (since they lock up chairs and lounges at most places) while on VACATION and that is the fair way to get a palapa.

From what I hear about the "afternoon line" people maybe they spend 45 minutes in the afternoon to get a palapa for the next day and they don't need to get to the palapa until 9:00 AM. WOW what an odd concept!

My experience at the Phoenix is that many 6:00 AM'ers not only get a palapa for themselves but for several others. With no one around from the Phoenix until 7:00ish who is to say.

I suggest that resorts/timeshare experiment with the afternoon signup. Seems to work plus people can actually sleep a little later.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:38 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ronnieb wrote:
DonnaLee wrote:

I thought most of the High rise hotels did it that way (stand in line, pick from what's left).... Marriott for sure. Hilton and Hyatt I think. Unless you pay to reserve in advance. I know - Aruba is enforcing rules now so they can't do that... but they still are, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:28 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Still paying to reserve at Hyatt.
Will see how long that is going to last. I think all their palapa's are forward of the "property" line; ie. all on public beach.