The Aruba Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: aruba money
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:40 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I don't follow how Aruba tries to "stick" us with their money.
At most, I think I've received $5.00 USD in Aruban money on any given trip and that's mostly in coins.
I usually just leave it behind as part of my tip for housekeeping.

We say that there is no choice only to comfort ourselves with a decision we have already made.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:44 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

jolie wrote:
thank you simple math would like to get a piece

($AWG/2)*1.125 = $US

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:58 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I went to Stop and shop the other day and they gave me US change back. Why do they want to stick me with US money? Oh, I forgot I'm in the US? Silly me. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:38 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

thank you simple math would like to get a piece[/quote]

What does this mean?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:10 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I am going to mention it in one of my rip reports but when foreign currency does not match up with the money you are giving someone then you are at the mercy of the change giver.

I go into SuperFoods and/or Lings. I buy food and head for the checkout. They show me US dollars and I hand them just that. They hand me back Aruban money. Now I guess I am suposed to trust that they are giving me back the exact change I am owed correct. But with there being a difference between the dollar and the florin as far as I can figure with my extremely poor grasp of math it will never be exact change.

Example: I go yesterday to Lings and spent $23.43. I hand her $30.00. She hands me back three coins of various shapes and sizes and a 10 florin paper money. Did I get back exactly $6.47. That is what I was owed. If not than isn't that a problem.

I wonder is there is a US to Florin app with pictures so I can and you folks can know.

Did I get back $6.47 or kinda close to that.

Being the wonderful trusting person that I am not I was and will be left wondering.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:25 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Since it was Lings, as mentioned, on the way out customer service will exchange it for you with US money.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:41 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubajoey wrote:
Example: I go yesterday to Lings and spent $23.43. I hand her $30.00. She hands me back three coins of various shapes and sizes and a 10 florin paper money. Did I get back exactly $6.47.

Hi, Joey. US$6.47 is equal to Afl 11.52. If they gave you back a 10 florin note, a 1 florin coin, and a 50 cens (square?) coin, then you're about even. Note that there are no "pennies" (or equivalent) in the Arubian money system.

If you're a _little_ handy with math, you can take the Florin amount, divide by 2, and then add 10%. So if they gave you Afl 12.00 (for example), then it would be equal to US $6.60 approximately (12/2 = 6, + 10% of 6 = .60, = 6.60). Just a quick way to check more or less...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:43 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Now Joey, after you spend that 10 florin note you'll feel just like a native. Bet you can't wait.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:22 am 
Prolific

leftyjy wrote:

What does this mean?
Thank you.[/quote]
should not have to explain to someone from mass. but there is big business in exchange rates

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:50 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Being from Massachusetts has nothing to do with decoding "....simple math would like to get a piece"!
That statement by itself just doesn't make sense.

But that said, when any of us travel to Aruba we do not have to go thru some exchange of monies before that trip to be able to spend in Aruba. American money is widely accepted down there.
Try spending US dollars with merchants in most all the other countries in the world and see what happens.

Weighing exchange rates is a big business and it fluctuates frequently. But it's a two way business in that folks from other countries cannot spend their cash over here so they do their exchange inside our border at a higher rate than if they made the exchange in their country....usually. We make out pretty good in exchanges done here.

Try handing some Euros to the cashier at your local supermarket like you give US dollars to the cashier at Ling's.

"....simple math would like to get a piece"????? Wha?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:17 pm 
Prolific

Everyone should take a look back.....when the ATM's had lines of people fishing for the "hardest currency around", USA dollars.
Most merchants can make x-action in dollars, but keeping it can,and do yield a bigger x-change in "certain circle". Us dollars coming out of a regulated bank, or an ATM are under certain control//regulation, those in open transaction with tourists, who flew them in, is not .
Yes, they are wanted!!!!!! The cunucu knows.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:42 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

bryanzs wrote:
arubajoey wrote:
Example: I go yesterday to Lings and spent $23.43. I hand her $30.00. She hands me back three coins of various shapes and sizes and a 10 florin paper money. Did I get back exactly $6.47.

Hi, Joey. US$6.47 is equal to Afl 11.52. If they gave you back a 10 florin note, a 1 florin coin, and a 50 cens (square?) coin, then you're about even. Note that there are no "pennies" (or equivalent) in the Arubian money system.

If you're a _little_ handy with math, you can take the Florin amount, divide by 2, and then add 10%. So if they gave you Afl 12.00 (for example), then it would be equal to US $6.60 approximately (12/2 = 6, + 10% of 6 = .60, = 6.60). Just a quick way to check more or less...

Who's on First?

You made my point when you said......."then you're about even. No even is even. Take the few million people who go to Aruba and spend US dollars and that "just about even money" they get back. Anyone want to guess what that total ends up being.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:28 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

jolie wrote:
leftyjy wrote:

What does this mean?
Thank you.

should not have to explain to someone from mass. but there is big business in exchange rates[/quote]

I am from NH and that made no sense to me either.....
The Florin is pegged to the US Dollar at a fixed rate. 1 USD= 1.75 Fl.
When I spend money in Aruba and they are gracious enough to accept money from my country instead of requiring me to pay only in their currency it would be a little crass of me to expect that they give me exact change in my currency as well. If I am that concerned about the exact change I could always exchange my $$ to Fl at the FIXED rate. I could then buy back my $$, also at the FIXED rate.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:27 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Being from a euro country, I don’t know what you are complaining about....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:02 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

The official "fixed" rate is 1.78 florin to the dollar however many merchants will exchange in their favor at 1.75 as previously mentioned. Persons buying or selling always face a very small mark up or fee, no getting around this, even the ATM will tack on some sort of fee or mark up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next