All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Madame Janette
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:23 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

A little upset with this restaurant. They want me to email them my credit card to make a reservation for 6. On top of that, if we were to cancel less than 48 hours, they would charge $30 pp no show fee. No other restaurant that I made reservations required this. So, bottom line, probably not going. Their loss.

Post subject: Re: Madame Janette
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:51 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Someone posted on Facebook something Similar about Pincho's. She was making a Reservation for 6 or more and they required her Credit Card for them to make the Reservation.She didn't say anything about charging them $$$$ per person as a NO SHOW FEE..That is outrageous... I make E-mail Reservations all the time and I make them Month's in Advance and in High Season and NO ONE,Not even Madame Janettes has ever asked me for a credit card .They ask me to reconfirm and I hardly ever do..BUT we are only 2 people ,so I guess they feel and table for 2 is easy to fill..but 6 or more is not.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:19 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I am going to imagine that these places have been burnt in the past. These are popular restaurants. The $30.00 pp fees I never ever heard of that anywhere. That's ballsy!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:28 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

UPDATE - just got a email from Madame Janettes when I said I was uncomfortable to send my credit card information and would not make a reservation now. They replied they would honor my res without it as long as I confirm when on island. Thanks Madame Janettes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:53 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

cee wrote:
A little upset with this restaurant. They want me to email them my credit card to make a reservation for 6. On top of that, if we were to cancel less than 48 hours, they would charge $30 pp no show fee. No other restaurant that I made reservations required this. So, bottom line, probably not going. Their loss.

This was a policy Madame Jeanette's and many other good restaurants had several years ago. Too often people make multiple reservations for the same evening and once they decide where they're going, never cancel the other reservations. Once I tried to make a reservation at MJ's and was told every seating was booked. Since our friends had a car, we decided to stop by on the chance there might be an open table. The place was only half full. If we didn't have a car, we would have taken a cab to somewhere else. Cannot blame them for requiring a deposit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:46 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

cee wrote:

They have been requesting that information for years. I think El Gaucho does also. It is because they have been burned many times. IMHO I agree with their policy, they are running a business.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:59 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

We had the same experience at Flying Fishbone in May. They actually charged our CC and then refunded it when we arrived.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:08 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Good story for this thread--We made a reservation several years ago at the Sunset Grill at the Raddison for 8 people. They told me there was a 50 per person no show fee and I gave them my credit card. We ate there that night and ran up a big bill that I paid with the same credit card. Raddison charged me the no show fee on top of the bill. It took months for Amex to straighten it out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm 
Junior

just had the same experience with Matthews for reservation for party of 2.They wanted a credit card number and would charge 30 per person if we did not cancel with a 24 hour notice,I will not do it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:19 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Sorry, no place is worth paying a hostage fee to make a dinner reservation. None.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:50 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

MuyLinda23 wrote:
Sorry, no place is worth paying a hostage fee to make a dinner reservation. None.

Agree, for 2 people :shock: I tell them to pound sand! Went to Chalet Suisse in April with reservation for 6 and they never asked for a CC.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:00 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

The management of these places won't like me posting this, but, here goes......

My wife and I will make our 9th trip to Aruba the first week
of November. We always stay a week. We've probably been to the nicer restaurants 30-35 times, with a trip to Madame Janette's once every time we go.

I've never had a reservation. Always been promptly seated, whether I was in a group of two, four, or even eight.
I don't know what other folks' experiences are, but I don't ever even think about getting a meal reservation in Aruba.

"I'm the luckiest man alive.
This is the best day of my life."
............G. Strait

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:23 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

cocanat wrote:
The management of these places won't like me posting this, but, here goes......

My wife and I will make our 9th trip to Aruba the first week
of November. We always stay a week. We've probably been to the nicer restaurants 30-35 times, with a trip to Madame Janette's once every time we go.

I've never had a reservation. Always been promptly seated, whether I was in a group of two, four, or even eight.
I don't know what other folks' experiences are, but I don't ever even think about getting a meal reservation in Aruba.

I agree but if you are more then 4 people you should call and let them know.

If I am taking the lovely Mrs. AJ out for a special meal in Aruba (other then Wendy's drive through) I will call the restaurant and say, it's (fill in the blank) and could we have a table by the water, away from kids, away from groups etc. At MJ's I know a lot of people like to be by the live music that's a reason for calling ahead.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:02 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

It's important to note that we go to Aruba during the slower times of year; weeks 21-22, and 40-41. Noteworthy as well, we try to be seated fairly early, say 5:30-6pm.

We used to call ahead and make reservations for the decent restaurants and when we arrived we'd always ask ourselves why we made reservations. The restaurants were usually pretty empty.
So, we stopped making reservations and never had to wait to be seated even at places like Suisse Chalet and MJ. We've been to many different restaurants during all those visits.

However, we do have one exception and that is Matthew's simply because we much prefer to be seated at the outer edge of their terrace nearest the water's edge as the ambiance is quite pleasant.

Been going to Aruba since '89 for two or four weeks plus a few days each trip. Approximately half of our nights on the island we dine out. Have NEVER paid anything in advance to make a reservation and never will. But that's us!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:57 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

I find a few restaurants in Chicago have started doing that. Can't really blame them, if you're booking for a party of 6. I'm sure they've had their share of no shows. People need to be considerate and call to cancel if you're not going.