The Aruba Forums
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:24 am 
Senior

My wife and I have been coming to Aruba for over 12 years. We were curious to get some opinions about a short 3 day side trip to Curacao. We value the opinions of people from this board, so please give us some advice. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:44 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Insel Air and Aruba Airlines both fly non-stop to Curacao - it's about a 30 minute flight. You will need to get a connecting flight if you also want to fly to Bonaire.

If you want to visit the beaches on either island you will need a rental car or hire a private guide/taxi.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:45 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

We did a day trip to Curacao a few years ago and loved it. Much larger island, not long beaches but more sandy coves with beach bars/restaurants, water is incredibly clear, downtown is much more European, you will definitely need a rental car and a decent map.

We keep waiting for a direct flight from the U.S. to Curacao so we could just do an entire vacation there. Delta used to have one years ago from Atlanta but no more.

Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017
34th trip to Aruba: May 2017
Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017
35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:23 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

We went about four years ago and we were going to go again this past summer, but Insel Air was having bankruptcy issues and they were having a difficult time maintaining their flight schedule.

Instead of taking a chance of getting stuck in Aruba with hotel reservations in Curacao but no way to get there, or stuck in Curacao with no way to catch our flight back to the US from Aruba, we scrapped our plans.

Maybe they are flying more consistently now. I would verify before I made any plans.

For what it is worth, we did enjoy our time that we went four years ago. The island feels more European, or at least way less American.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:06 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I would also highly recommend visiting Curacao. We spent a week there, with a direct flight from Toronto. We stayed near the sea aquarium and absolutely loved that location. We enjoyed watching dolphins swim by when we were on the beach and could walk over to the sea aquarium itself, which I would recommend visiting. Downtown Willemstad is unique and very European in flavour. There is a moving bridge that connects 2 different parts of downtown and swings aside to let ships pass by. Loved sitting beside the water with a Heineken and just watching. It is a much larger island than Aruba and has lots of choices of things to do and a car would be helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:07 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Sounds like Curacao should be your next vacation and not a two day trip.