The Aruba Forums
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:23 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

In order to accommodate our guests who are seeking a quiet and relaxing night out in the later hours, Yemanja no longer accept reservations for children under the age of 12 after 7pm. We continue to welcome reservations for guests of all ages, including children under the age of 12, in the hours prior to 7pm.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:24 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

So if you call to make a reservation for let's say 5 people at 8:00pm......they're going to ask you if any in your party are under 12 years old? This could be a bit of a tough policy to enforce. And no doubt some folks when they learn of this will claim their 11 year old is 13. And if a kid looks younger than 12 when they arrive are they going to ask for the kid's ID? Good Luck to them with this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:16 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Hallelujah!

As I kneel at my bedside I pray that all restaurants at Yemanja's level adopt the same policy.

One of the Cardinal Rules when the every lovely voluptuous Mrs AJ and I enter a restaurant in Aruba (or any nice restaurant) is to say "do not sit us near any children".

NEWS ALERT! There are such people in Aruba as BABY/CHILDREN Sitters. Why do people want to take their kids to dinner at 9:00 at night. Wouldn't they rather have mommy and daddy time?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:46 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
Hallelujah!

As I kneel at my bedside I pray that all restaurants at Yemanja's level adopt the same policy.

One of the Cardinal Rules when the every lovely voluptuous Mrs AJ and I enter a restaurant in Aruba (or any nice restaurant) is to say "do not sit us near any children".

NEWS ALERT! There are such people in Aruba as BABY/CHILDREN Sitters. Why do people want to take their kids to dinner at 9:00 at night. Wouldn't they rather have mommy and daddy time?

agree 100%.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:58 pm 
Senior

I also agree with Arubaoey 100% on this one!! Nothing is more upsetting than spending lots of money on a nice evening out to have it ruined by little ones who are not controlled by their parents!!

I love kids....have 8 grandkids of my own but, would never attempt to take them late evening out to dinner!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:55 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I find it is the behavior of my fellow diners, not their ages, that can be bothersome when eating out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:34 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

happyt1 wrote:
I find it is the behavior of my fellow diners, not their ages, that can be bothersome when eating out.

You are right!

I forgot the times I have been in restaurants and those pesky 50 years old are running around the tables and playing peek a boo and crying because their parents took away something or would not give them something. Let me revise this to include 20, 30, 40, 60+ "kids".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:25 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

I love taking my grandchildren, just as I used to take my children out to dinner. BUT I agree that earlier reservations are more appropriate, and, more importantly, parents and/or grandparents have an obligation to enforce "eating out" rules- no running around, no yelling/crying/etc.- basically, if the kids aren't well behaved then an adult should take them outside for a few minutes so others aren't disturbed. I've found children will generally comply with expected behavior if its made clear, and meals in nice restaurants can be enjoyed by all.

I can count on the fingers of one hand all the times I walked out with my kids while growing up, and now enjoy taking our grandkids out too. So kids don't have to be left back with strange babysitters, which I'd never be comfortable with.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:07 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I think the policy is a great idea. Unfortunately many children, who are older than 12 can be more poorly behaved. We go weeks 51/52 every year. A few years ago we went to Screaming Eagle for dinner. We were placed at a table for 3 between two large tables—one of 8 adults and one of their 12 children all in their early teens. These kids were horribly behaved, they were jumping up and down between the tables. When our waiter brought our food, they knocked it off of the tray before it could be served to us. The restaurant did nothing for us— they didn’t move us, discount our dinner, etc. It was a horrendous evening and we have not gone back. In addition we had 8PM reservations but we weren’t seated until 9:15. I applaud Yemanja on their new policy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:53 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

The fault lies with the adults, not the kids. Nothing makes a dining experience better than looking over and asking "Excuse me, but is that your little bastard?"
Well behaved parents tend to raise children with manners. Boors raise boors.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:54 am 
Freshman

It would be fabulous if other fine restaurants followed suit.

A meal was totally ruined for us at Screaming Eagle when a baby screamed the entire time. Parents carried, yes lifted the carriage up, carried kid out only to return 15 minutes later.

Kudos to Yemanja.