The Aruba Forums
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Christmas 2007 - ARUBA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:47 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

SNIPPET
Christmas 2007
Aruba

A few days before Christmas, we sat at home and wrapped packages after Junior had gone to sleep. This, of course, ended up being one of those sessions where everyone sheepishly looked at each other and apologized in advance about how they used most of their budget for “Junior Stuff”.

The TV was on one of the News channels and we looked at the snow fall in the different parts of the world and America - mighty white stuff – to say the least. Big pine trees all laden with snow forming white triangles and roof tops looking like someone had dropped a large white cover of cotton on everything. I thought about that and when done I went to sleep.

We do our best to copy, but it does not work. The house had tiny electric bulbs that hung on the eaves. They were supposed to be icicles – WRONG! Spray can snow was on the windows to assure the chilly feeling of frost – WRONG AGAIN. Christmas Carols sung by Alvin the Chipmunk were on the CD in the car. TRIPLE WRONG. Chipmunks don’t sing and I could only feel sorry for the amount of Helium that the singers must have had to ingest to sound like singing chipmunks.

Fact of the matter is that on Christmas day, it was raining outside. The droplets fell on sagging DIVI trees and Cacti. Some of the rain drops hung on the cacti prongs and then fell off. Our cat was upset at the weather and lurked in a corner in the kitchen. Fact of the matter is that our dog was equally as P.O’d as the cat and sat in his corner of the house with only his eyebrows moving to follow the human traffic as it passed by. That morning, as we opened presents, birds did not chirp and it can be generally said that it was everything but what we saw on TV.

YET – and this is a big “Yet”

Later in the day, the sun came out and we went to the beach. We took some sliced ham and bread and sat on the beach sand and made sandwiches. (No pun intended – actually – pun intended) We held hands and walked with our feet in salty water as it lapped against the shorelines. We threw a Frisbee and the dog romped trying to catch it. The cat stayed home and was relatively happier to have been left alone. So much so that he peed against the Christmas tree and then sat on the couch close by to bask in his poor conduct. After some sun and sand and walking and talking, we went for a ride along the North Coast and looked at waves pounding tirelessly on the rocks and boulders. We have done this so many times and it still impresses us each time. We went home late in the afternoon and dealt with the cat issue as well as finishing the uncut ham. Junior turned to his new toys and I started to look at the news.

We consider ourselves fortunate to live on this island and feel relatively sure that Santa and his Reindeer will start to look at things differently. He does not have to wear a Speedo and use sun-block during his deliveries, however the “Snow uniform might want to take a back seat someday.

Later we talked to Junior about Christmas and the meaning. He associates rather nicely with birthdays so, at five years of age, it made tons of sense to him that a birthday should be celebrated. Then came the questions about how Santa fit into the picture and I told him that I would cover that with him next year. He is OK with that (I think).

During the night, it rained again and the droplets fell on sagging and sleeping DIVI trees and Cacti. Some of the rain drops hung on the cacti prongs and then fell off – of this I am sure. I am sure that the waves will batter one side of our rock and gently kiss the other. I know we welcome rain and I know that where we live is a special place and feel so proud to be here.

A belated Merry Christmas to you all

be well
charles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:26 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I am glad you had a Merry Christmas with your family. Our Christmas, My wife and I, was spent on Eagle Beach sipping champagne.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:46 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thank you, Charles. After our many trips, I still wonder what it's like to live in such a special place. You've made it real to me. See you in March when we stop by for our phones. ( 1 for the DD and 1 for me so I can keep track of her!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:10 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Glad you enjoyed. Aruba is a special place and sharing it is relatively easy.

be well
charles

PHWishon wrote:
Thank you, Charles. After our many trips, I still wonder what it's like to live in such a special place. You've made it real to me. See you in March when we stop by for our phones. ( 1 for the DD and 1 for me so I can keep track of her!)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]