The Aruba Forums
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:38 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I have learned that people remind me of cloth, especially the cloth on men’s’ suits. If you ever close your eyes and run your fingers over the outside shirt sleeve of a suit, you will notice that it has a strong - yet fine feel to it. The inside of the coat is smooth and hidden and very comfortable – often a different color. The pants are well cut and the pleats are evenly groomed while the waist band is a gathering of different cloths and the mixture makes it strong. Winter suits require stronger and thicker cloth. Cloth that is heavy and knobby. It is a cloth that is not meant for comfort but yet meant to create comfort. – You go figure that out – I can’t.

Anyway, people remind of cloth and Aruba is a tapestry, a mixture a conglomerate of fine and rough wools and the finest silks and linens. Once you start to pay attention to the details of the people, it will leave you speechless, at least it does me.

THE ARUBA MAN WITH SILKY HAIR

I had electrical problems at our home due to the rain and called the original electrician that installed the system in the house. I remembered the first time I saw him and recall the immediate first-impression I had. His hair was a mess. A clutter of clumps all cut in different lengths and headed in different directions. I asked the General Contractor about the electricians’ hair and he warned me to drop the topic and pretend his hair is normal. I did.

Once in a while a new guy would start working on the house and it was always the same reaction and pretty much always the same little warning which was followed up with respecting the situation and moving on to building a house.

Anyway, the recent rains created a short in my garden wires and he came out to take care of them. After a few minutes he was done and started talking to Junior and throwing tennis balls for our dog. (PS Hair still the same). He and Junior seemed to having a heck of a time and sitting off in the garden chatting away while throwing a ball and a frisbee.

The dog wore out and they came to house. Junior entered with a WATER PLEASE” look on his face while the electrician had the “I’m done and would enjoy being paid” look. After water and some check writing, the electrician looked at Junior and confirmed SUNDAY OK? We figured that the “kid” had wrangled an invitation to the Electricians house on Sunday and soon found out that this was a correct assumption.

His house was not in the Cunucu but just on the outskirts of Piedra Plat (not far from where we live) and when we arrived, we encountered about seven or eight men sitting under a tree playing dominoes on two tables. I immediately accepted the invitation to join.

We played for a while and then several women came out with trays of juice or beer with an assortment of crackers and triangularly cut sandwiches. One lady came out by herself a bit after the others and was holding a smaller tray with one hand under it and the other on the sides of the glass. She looked (or stared straight ahead until she bumped into a chair. Then- as if it was an everyday occurrence, she started to feel the hair of the different men, they turned out (with one exception – me) to be brothers. It was odd to have her lightly touch my hair and then move on to the next. Finally she came to the electrician and touched his hair, moved to his side and put the small tray down and gave him a hug. He hugged back. She asked how the game was going and various answers shot out in her direction yet no one looked at her differently. She stooped over and gave the bushy haired man a hug and pivoted perfectly to walk back into the house.

It amazed me just how blind I had been and how stupid my question many years ago had been.

Anyway, people remind of cloth and Aruba is a tapestry, a mixture a conglomerate of fine and rough wools and the finest silks and linens. Once you start to pay attention to the details of the people, it will leave you speechless, at least it does me.

be well
charles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:03 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Nice story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:50 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Always inspirational and something to make us stop and think. Thank you, Charles.

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Post subject: charles chaleco
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:37 pm 
Hi, my friend....so great to read your snippets!!! Would love to see you Junior and Iris again soon, but my age and health preclude me from making plans too far ahead. I am HOPING for time this winter!....I will be coming with my aide and that she does well. I needthat Aruban sun, water and blue sky! Will let you know as soon as I know. Embrazos to the familia con amor. Lennie

Post subject: Re: charles chaleco
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:58 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Hi there amiga,
Age!!!! You just have to be kidding.

It makes me feel very good to know that you read the snippets. Enjoy them.

be well
charles

lenniezee wrote:
Hi, my friend....so great to read your snippets!!! Would love to see you Junior and Iris again soon, but my age and health preclude me from making plans too far ahead. I am HOPING for time this winter!....I will be coming with my aide and that she does well. I needthat Aruban sun, water and blue sky! Will let you know as soon as I know. Embrazos to the familia con amor. Lennie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:32 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thank you Charles for the beautiful insight :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]