The Aruba Forums
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: WE WERE YOUNGER THEN
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:19 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

There is great truth in the statement “We were younger then”. It is one of those phrases that anyone can make at anytime and it would be true -neat huh?

If you are ever fortunate enough to find a very old picture album and take the time to peer through it - you will eventually get a feel for the people, the time, the smell of things and the little innuendos that were so important. And now, in this modern world, when we say “We were younger then” often we do not have the picture album - what we have is a web site. A place where our lives and those of the people we remember so well, are stored. Our adventures and the colors and movements of those moments are made eternal, almost like a memory, when they are placed in a web site. This is a different thing altogether and one that needs to be appreciated – at least I do. Recently, I looked at a web site and from it, came startling pictures of Aruba a long time ago. There (in this site) are pictures of young people. There are photos of men marveling at automobiles and there are composite pictures of an open land waiting to be taken.

And in this small world of “dot com” my mind wondered and stories came to me, however I had no way to know if they were true except that I was fortunate enough to find this site and looked through it and eventually I got a feel for the people, the time, the smell of things and the little innuendos that were so important – so I wrote.

In writing, I realized that in the beginning, Lago was a field of shrubs with few houses. It was a “Wild West” in the Caribbean. There was nothing that existed so everything that came was on purpose. And on this piece of land on the tip of an island – on this barren shrub laden rocky existence there were kids. There were kids that were busy settling into this coral shelf and they did this while their counterparts all over the world lived a different and much more civilized life – of did they?

I look at these kids that lived in Lago and the homes they lived in and I look at the pictures of them together as Boy Scouts or in School pictures and there is a rugged and at the same time innocent and very healthy look on their faces. I notice that one of the girls looked a bit uncomfortable and that one of the boys had a shifting look in her direction. I wonder if they got married. What happened to them? There are boys that formed a “Spear fishing club. Rugged faced young men that dove into the dark blue/green ocean and came up with someone’s dinner. I wonder if at least one of them was a bit scared when he entered the ocean – I wonder and look at the faces and know that at least one was. These faces haunt me because most “are no more” yet they were so much a part of what was in those photos. Those smiles and the hair pulled back. All of them so proud and glad to live on a spit of land that is on a small piece of assigned property on an island called Aruba – located in the Caribbean.

Their fathers were the men who carved out a town. They built the roads and the water system and the electrical system and all of the things that we take so much for granted. They made a town, an oil refinery, hosted the US military during a war – and – if not for this virtual scrapbook – if not for the pictures – these Caribbean pioneers would be forever unknown to the universe and that is not right. Is it?

So perhaps the scrap book should be open to the world and the pages looked at by so many more people.

It was a different time then. And those that still can look at those times and remember should do so. And if that is true, that means that what we do today will be tomorrow’s memory. And if that is true, we are behaving like the memories we will have. And that is as simple as it is profound.

Words drift through the text and the photos and they flounder into my mind and I hear them and they say …

“But we were younger then. And that girl (or guy) was well … No we never got married but …. and - anyway –Yes it was scary to dive into the dark and deep blue ocean but it is what we were – No I never got pregnant. -- C’mon son, we have things to do….Why did you not know I was a good person?.... Do you guys know how it feels to be picked last when we play ball?... I made it myself, nice huh?

And the drone of sentiments and words pile from those pictures and it makes me realize that there is great truth in the statement “We were younger then”. It is one of those phrases that anyone can make at anytime and it would be true.

------------------------
please use the link below
------------------------
http://lago-colony.com

be well
charles

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]